New diver old Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

siw1800

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Guys, Just started diving and so have lots of expense ahead of me with limited funds. I am going to Kos in a week so want to try to get one or two days diving in. I have been told they will not allow you to go without a dive computer. i would like a nice one but have other priorities at this pont in time.

So, I bought a second hand Suunto Gekko. I have searched the net and got a good idea how to set and use the thing but I have two questions.

1. I can get into dive log and bring up the last dive to make a note of in my log book how do I bring up the second last dive? From my 6 dives, it seems to be 2 per trip, been told 3 sometimes, so do I need to record each dives details after the dive but before the next or is there a way to go back further than 1 dive?

2. I have read a few articles about deleting the history of second hand computers and they all seem to say "this is the way but if it goes wrong, it's not my fault". I am of a mind to just leave well alone unless someone has an easy fool proof method of taking it back to manufacturers factory settings?

Thanks in advanced.

Simon

If it's possible - a Suunto dive dealer can reset it successfully - they'll have the software. Here in the U.S. they're marketed thru Aqualung so many of them can also. Due to price a Gekko is probably a pretty popular rental option so it's probably fairly easy and quick.

A Gekko will log something in the range of 999 dives or 999 hours of diving before it rolls over and erases previous entries.

Not clear on your other question but to scroll between dives in the log just use the up/down buttons (Plan/Time - notice the arrows above them)

If you need a manual: Product support - Suunto Gekko

You push the mode button till it says mode then right: memory-> mode till it says logbook-> mode again to enter it. Then you can scroll it.
There is no normal way to erase the memory. But why would you care?
Google the manual:SUUNTO GEKKO USER'S MANUAL Pdf Download.

Ok, I dowloaded the manual and have started to read it (will print it when at work). So I know how to check last dives to enter into my log book (from computer log book) but I am a little confused. There are 4 pages in the "logbook" section, first three I get but the fourth throws me.

It says across the top line dive number, then next to it, starts at zero then immediately (on my second hand computer) goes to 10.1 (depth?) it fluctuates slightly during the "prof" counting..

On the bottom line it says "prof" (profile?) then after that there is a number that counts up about every 5 seconds. Is this in effect where the computer was in the water? over the course of the dive?

On the second page of log book, it has dive and max depth on top line, temp and then Dive time on the bottom line. Mine is showing that dive 1 (seems to count backwards so last dive recorded) has a reading of 999? Any ideas what that means?

Thanks guys.

Simon

.....So, I bought a second hand Suunto Gekko......
We have an online class for the Gekko. And simulators too.

[video=youtube;JMWdSCdU4TU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMWdSCdU4TU[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom