New diver New to forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swampbug3

New
Reaction score
Hello All I live in the Kansas City area. My gf and i just finished our pool and exam part of certification for diving locally and will be vacationing at Ka'anapali Maui in March where we plan on doing our open water certification there. Does anyone have any experience in that area with LDS and or have any suggestions on any places we should NOT miss while there [FONT=arial, sans-serif]dive wise? Thank you
swampbug[/FONT]

Welcome swampbug!! I don't have any info on Ka'anapali just yet, but I have booked a couple of clients there that want to do some diving while they are there as well. They won't be going until May & June, but it seems to be a happening place. I've had a lot of people inquire about it. Best of luck to y'all!! Have a blast. Happy diving!!

Welcome aboard! Take a look through the regional forums, and you should be able to find some info to assist you in Ka'anapali. Haven't gotten to go to Hawaii myself, but from what everyone has told me, it's prettty sweet! Be sure you take your training record with you, so you don't get stuck having to repeat everything there. They will probably have you demonstrate a few things anyways, as a precaution, but as long as everything is signed off by your LDS, you should be good to go. Again, welcome aboard and have a blast!

Welcome to diving, swampbug3, and to :sblogo:! You came to the right place to ask questions. Head on down to the Hawaii regional subforum and you can post specific questions about your destination (and also look through old threads, because Maui's a pretty popular place for folks to go).

A lot of people like boat diving off Maui -- Molokini Crater is a common destination, and can be almost like diving in an aquarium. But the shore diving is also very good, and Lahaina has one of my favorite Maui dives, the Mala Pier. If you just got certified and did it in inland water, though, I'd highly recommend hiring a divemaster to go with you, to give you some tips on entries for shore diving. I would also take the advice of the local shops seriously, if they tell you conditions aren't ideal for shore diving. Maui can get some significant surf, and not only does that complicate getting in and out of the water, but the viz on the shallow sites drops and can get very poor.

If conditions are favorable, though, Maui is a wonderful place to do your first destination dive trip!

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes and direction to look into my questions! and to TSandM my GF i mentioned she currently lives in Duval,Wa
Thanks again!

Welcome to diving, swampbug3, and to :sblogo:! You came to the right place to ask questions. Head on down to the Hawaii regional subforum and you can post specific questions about your destination (and also look through old threads, because Maui's a pretty popular place for folks to go).

A lot of people like boat diving off Maui -- Molokini Crater is a common destination, and can be almost like diving in an aquarium. But the shore diving is also very good, and Lahaina has one of my favorite Maui dives, the Mala Pier. If you just got certified and did it in inland water, though, I'd highly recommend hiring a divemaster to go with you, to give you some tips on entries for shore diving. I would also take the advice of the local shops seriously, if they tell you conditions aren't ideal for shore diving. Maui can get some significant surf, and not only does that complicate getting in and out of the water, but the viz on the shallow sites drops and can get very poor.

If conditions are favorable, though, Maui is a wonderful place to do your first destination dive trip!

Shaka Doug is on Maui and is an excellent source of information on here. Look him up under members.

Back
Top Bottom