New Diver Needs Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiplee

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver with about 25 dives. I would like to get a digital camera that is easy to use while I am becoming more experienced. My goal is to take some pictures while still focusing mainly on diving. Quality pictures, moderate price, easy to use setup. Open to suggestions and if anyone has recommendations or a package that fits this description, I would like to hear from you. Thanks.

I purchased the Olympus FE360 package for a starter camera. It has plenty of features and everything I would want for now... it will even record sound with stills or video.

Ken

I would recommend getting maybe another 50 dives under your belt before adding a camera. You need to learn and fine tune various skills before adding the complexities of underwater photography.

I've been having a grand time with my Sea&Sea DX-1G setup. That camera is something that I'll have to grow into to fully use.

Oh and some will say you need more experience before using a camera. This is your choice of course. For me I have found that because I'm taking pictures I've been focusing on improving my skill. I get annoyed with I screw a shot up due to skill or I can't get into a position to take a shot how I want due to skill, etc. And that causes me to stop and try to address it and figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Oh and when you are starting out don't show the pictures to UW photographers. Show them to your friends that don't dive. You can have some bad pictures and they'll still love them because of the subject :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I know I need more experience in the water. My thinking was to get something simple that I could take in every now and then until I get more experience, and on that dive focus mainly on getting accustomed to taking a some pictures. Getting in water this weekend for the first time this year so very excited!! Thanks again. Jip

In the meantime, I'd suggest that you read Martin Edge's "Underwater Photography" THIRD edition for a quick education on UW photo techniques. I wish I had when I started UW photo five years ago. Of course this edition wasn't out when I started taking photos.

Last edited:
Yeah, and i would say practice makes perfect!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom