New diver. Need help with gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dishonored

Registered
Reaction score
Me and my gf are doing the eLearning PADI course now. We have our check out dives in September at Alexander springs and blue heron. I have a list of items I added to my wish list/cart from leisure pro that are for the both of us.
Could I get any feedback to if it is good bad or Indifferent. I tried to choose items with really good ratings. We might dive 4 times max a year after this. If we start going more we could eventually upgrade if need be but he initial expense for everything is pretty steep.
I can provide links if need be but here is a screen shot of my cart and the prices.
Thanks for any help. We are looking to order the gear by day end or tomorrow to get the items before they go out of stock.
4ymeju7e.jpg

Hmm list looks a bit weird,have you already got gear?

Newbies minimum requirement:
Mask,Snorkel,Wetsuit,Fins,(Booties for open heel fins)

Thereafter i'd rate hard gear in order BCD>Regs>Cylinders

Once you have the BCD you may look into AOW course and then safety items like SMB,Knife,shakers etc

no we have no gear at all.
these are the items we were told we would need to provide for our certification dives.
everything else would be provided.

The important thing about masks is that they have to fit. That's one item I would highly recommend buying from a store, rather than online, unless you have the time and patience to return things repeatedly. One of the issues I see students dealing with over and over again is masks that leak badly, and that is a stressor that is totally avoidable.

I recommend buying the simplest snorkel possible. The ones that have complicated dry valves at the top of them tend to want to fall over, twist the mask straps, and encourage leaking.

The fins look fine. I think most anything is okay, so long as it is a blade fin.

Don't discount looking at eBay for things like snorkels and fins. They don't really wear out, and you can save some money that way.

ok thanks guys. the masks in the cart are the same mask some friends of ours have. we tried them on and they seemed to fit. pushing them against our face they formed a small suction coming back out.
thanks for affirming on the fins, I am gonna go back and look at cheaper snorkels. (th gf is the hardest to buy for because it must be pink and all match lol)
I am not sure about the knives. I was told we needed them for fishing line or anything while at blue heron and you never know when you need them.

Knives are handy true, but I prefer having most the soft gear before buying safety gear you may or may not use :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Unless required, wait on the knives

I have taken off the two "fancy" snorkels and added two generic ones. I have also taken off the mask. I am not sure what to do about that.. I am not picky but the gf is.
we have until September to make sure it all fits and works.

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 03:46 PM ----------

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 03:52 PM ----------

I just got off the phone with the guy who runs the dive shop in Orlando. He recommended different fins for me. I am 6' 247lbs. He told me I need the aqualung express adj or the slingshots because I am a good size guy. Everything I read online said the Tusa's were a good fin for larger people. There is a large price difference with them. any exper with any of these or advice?

Last edited:
I completely disagree that you need those exact fins. I do recommend that you buy a quality fin, otherwise you will find yourself shopping again very soon if you do stick with diving. Good quality and well fitting fins and mask are a priority. If you do decide you want slingshot, I have a pair, regular size, well loved with some scratches from shore diving but otherwise in great shape. PM me if interested. I'll also throw in a pair of 3 mm boots size small if I can find them for the GF. No pink on them but maybe she can tie a ribbon on them...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom