New diver looking for dive buddies in Marco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m working on my open water dive certification with SSI and only have two dives left. Upon completion I plan on joining our dive team and going on a three day trip to a clear quarry and do a few day dives and a night dive.

I’m coming to Marco Island in the end of August and looking for an experienced diver to take me diving for lobster and general diving. If I’m not able to find a dive buddy, any suggestions on a charter would be greatly appreciated.

Hey buddy,

Awesome your getting into diving its a lot of fun. Down here in SWFL though I am not aware of any diving charters. I know lots of spearfishing charters, 2 specifically are the best. They just shot a 50 inch black grouper this week. So my point is here in Naples and Marco most people don't dive just to dive, if they dive they are spearfishing. There are lobster here but not in a small area, you will be lucky to find 1 or 2 in a day of 3 dives or more. Granted it will probably be huge when you do find it though.

For lobster you want to head to the keys. Tons of charters down there. Not hard to get to from Marco either you can jump on the Key West Express and be there in 3 hours that is the fastest way to the keys from down here.

If you want to give it a shot spearfishing you def could, but to get clear water with any decent visibility this time of year you are going to have to go 40+ miles offshore and the depth is 70+. So you would want to be real comfortable in the water before heading out, because if something happens out there your a long way from help.

Also keep in mind when you go spearing out here your not going to have a buddy. Its pretty much every man for himself. Don't get me wrong the site you would be diving is small and people will stay right on the wreck. But you def get separated at times.

Hope this makes sense feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

I just looked into it, there actually is one shop on Marco doing local dives.

Dive Day & Pricing

I would do the Blue Hole if you did that.

Hey buddy,

Awesome your getting into diving its a lot of fun. Down here in SWFL though I am not aware of any diving charters. I know lots of spearfishing charters, 2 specifically are the best. They just shot a 50 inch black grouper this week. So my point is here in Naples and Marco most people don't dive just to dive, if they dive they are spearfishing. There are lobster here but not in a small area, you will be lucky to find 1 or 2 in a day of 3 dives or more. Granted it will probably be huge when you do find it though.

For lobster you want to head to the keys. Tons of charters down there. Not hard to get to from Marco either you can jump on the Key West Express and be there in 3 hours that is the fastest way to the keys from down here.

If you want to give it a shot spearfishing you def could, but to get clear water with any decent visibility this time of year you are going to have to go 40+ miles offshore and the depth is 70+. So you would want to be real comfortable in the water before heading out, because if something happens out there your a long way from help.

Also keep in mind when you go spearing out here your not going to have a buddy. Its pretty much every man for himself. Don't get me wrong the site you would be diving is small and people will stay right on the wreck. But you def get separated at times.

Hope this makes sense feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the great info. We have been diving in 25’ stained lake with only 3-4’ of visibility. I’ll be going down to see my sister at her restaurant on Smokehouse Bay. They don’t dive but I’d like to find a dive buddy that could get me started into Spearfishing which is something else I’m urning to try. Are there many lion fish in the area or are they mainly off the coast. Am I correct in assuming that Collier County is the only county in Florida that doesn’t allow Spearfishing? What game fish besides grouper that are sought after? Sorry for the rambling, lol

I am in Collier county we def spearfish all the time :) Not prohibited at all. Tons of fish too, pretty much anything you can think of: Hogfish, Permit, Cobia, All kinds of grouper, tons of mangrove and other snapper. We def got a nice amount of lion fish but I am told its way less than we used to have, but you will find them on the wrecks for sure.

Its a ton of fun and if you are ready we could probably take you out, just make sure you know how to load your spear gun because thats gonna your biggest issue if you haven't done that. Not just loading but wrapping it after firing.

Safety is also extremely important, keeping your finger off the trigger until ready to fire, not pointing it at anyone, and making sure you unload your gun before handing it up. So it is a lot to think about, not saying you can't handle it but just prepare for it. I played with my gun in the pool and everything before I went out and didn't fire it on the first couple of dives.

Do you have a speargun?

I am in Collier county we def spearfish all the time :) Not prohibited at all. Tons of fish too, pretty much anything you can think of: Hogfish, Permit, Cobia, All kinds of grouper, tons of mangrove and other snapper. We def got a nice amount of lion fish but I am told its way less than we used to have, but you will find them on the wrecks for sure.

Its a ton of fun and if you are ready we could probably take you out, just make sure you know how to load your spear gun because thats gonna your biggest issue if you haven't done that. Not just loading but wrapping it after firing.

Safety is also extremely important, keeping your finger off the trigger until ready to fire, not pointing it at anyone, and making sure you unload your gun before handing it up. So it is a lot to think about, not saying you can't handle it but just prepare for it. I played with my gun in the pool and everything before I went out and didn't fire it on the first couple of dives.

Do you have a speargun?

Do you have a speargun?
I don’t have a speargun or a pole spear but was planning on buying one. Was considering on buying one in Marco but have no clue which to buy. I’ve done some research but not sure as of yet. Should I start with a pole spear or a entry type speargun around 110-120? Would love to spearfish thoug.

Well a good speargun would last you forever. That way you would only ever have to buy one. I have a Koah 54 inch fatback.

A lot of people like rollers these days but I go with guys that have the Fatback and the Roller and they still go down with the Fatback. Its a sweet gun and neutrally buoyant.

Is there a shop around Marco/Naples that sells them reasonably? Do you recommend a 3 mm Spearfishing wetsuit or just a a rash shirt and a 3 mm shorty?

Is there a shop around Marco/Naples that sells them reasonably? Do you recommend a 3 mm Spearfishing wetsuit or just a a rash shirt and a 3 mm shorty?

Some guys wear their 3mm, I wear a rash guard but I have no problem staying warm so you would be fine in either. I got my Koah from divers direct in Key Largo, I am not sure about Marco Island but in Naples, about 30 minutes from Marco, Scuba Adventures has a lot of spearfishing stuff. You have a while so personally I would try to get one now before you go if you for sure wanna give it a try, you will want to be real familiar with it before you take it in the water. Its not tough to load but if you don't do it just right you are gonna waste a lot of air trying to re-do it.

I paid 600 for mine, they were 800 at one time. 522 right now on divers supply. Thats a smoking deal for that gun. Even if you ordered it now and had it shipped to your sisters place. If your not ready to spend that much, I would get a cheap used biller off craigslist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom