New Diver -- Lessons Learned -- Nassau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubAtlanta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings – new to diving, and new to this Forum. My 17 year old son (“Son&#8221:wink: and I took the PADI “Scuba Diver” course (2 dives with instructor) about 18 months ago, then got our OW cert through Pirate Divers in Key Largo last year. Since then, we've done one dive on our own at Ginnie Springs.

Last week, Son and I took a cruise which stopped in Nassau, so we booked a two-dive trip with Stuart Cove. I was impressed with their operation – smoothly run with friendly employees. Our boat had a dozen divers – all (except us) seemed experienced. We rented our gear, including full 5 mil suits. I'd never used that much neoprene, and guessed at 22 lbs of lead (I'm 6', 250 lbs), which worked okay.

First dive was on a wall which started around 55-60'. DM said he'd lead the group down to, and along, the edge in an arc around the boat. Those who were appropriately certified and had computers were welcome to descend up to 100'. As for those who remained with the DM, he said we'd surface as a group when one of us began running low on air (we were on a tight schedule); however, he reminded us it was our individual responsibilities to surface if and when we needed to.

We suited up, and I “squirted” my reg to make sure it had air flow, but that was it. When I hit the water, though, my reg seemed stiff – very hard to draw a breath. We had decent chop and a moderate surface current, which I fought as I swam to our drag line, where I was to meet up with Son before descending. By then, I was breathing hard against the reg, but assumed I'd be okay once I descended. Wrong. Down 10', I literally couldn't catch my breath. I tried to get Son's attention, but he was on his way down. I surfaced – luckily, DM was still up top. I removed my reg to swim to him – and promptly swallowed a ton of water in the chop. I don't think I was panicking – I've spent my life “in” the water, have been WSI certified and taught lifesaving for years, so I know what panic in the water looks like –but I was gulping air. DM did something to my regulator which loosened it up a little (CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT?), and back down I went . . . still gulping air. LESSON #1 – TEST AND BE HAPPY WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT BEFORE YOU GET IN THE WATER.

By the time I met up with Son, I already was at 2000 psi, which put me way ahead of everyone else. I signaled same to DM, and he signed “ok.” I finally settled down, and had a good time looking around at the beautiful reef. Some of the group peeled off, but most stayed with the DM – I followed a few feet above and behind him. I signaled at 1500 psi, and again at 1000. When I signaled at 900, he motioned for Son and me to pair up – Son had drifted 20' or so away to look at something – but he kept swimming and leading the group (I checked Son's air – he was at 1300). Mistake number two – I kept following. At 700 psi, I tugged on his fin, and got a look I interpreted as “why are you still here?” He motioned for Son and me to go up together. Unfortunately, Son had drifted about 20' behind and down again, and I had to swim down to get him. We went the short distance to the line, and completed our safety stop. By then, I was entering the “red zone” (300 psi – Son still had 900 psi), and the reg was getting hard to pull on again (whether the original problem, or running low, I don't know). I did have enough to inflate my BCD at the surface. LESSON #2 – THE DM IS NOT MY NANNY; IT'S MY RESPONSIBILITY TO SURFACE WHEN I NEED TO.

On the boat, Son and I talked about it, and agreed I should have surfaced at 900 psi. I don't fault DM at all – I know my gas consumption was way ahead of everyone else due to my early problems. One of the other divers sitting next to us also talked with Son about staying closer – Son, properly contrite, promised he would. The diver also talked with me about making sure he did. LESSON #3 – STICKING TOGETHER IS A RESPONSIBILITY OF BOTH BUDDIES – HIS AND MINE.

Second dive on a 50-60' reef went much better. I knew what to expect with the reg, and relaxed, and my air consumption and down time improved significantly. Son stuck with me like glue. I played with my buoyancy and breath control, and found myself slightly over-weighted, so I could have gone without 2-4 lbs of the lead I carried. I signaled to surface when I was under 1000 psi (we were already back near the boat), and we rose to do our safety stop. We stopped at 15 ft, purging our BCDs as we went (but not fully – I was a bit over-weighted, right?), and I checked my depth for thirty seconds or so. Was stable, so I started watching a large school of yellowtails that swarmed around us. Next thing Iknow, I feel something slapping at my back – I'd surfaced less than a minute and half into the stop. LESSON #4 – JUST BECAUSE THINGS LOOK FINE ONE MINUTE, IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULDN'T KEEP CHECKING.

Despite seeing a lot of beautiful things, I ended the day a bit upset with myself. I got distracted repeatedly, causing me to ignore my training and make stupid mistakes. Those are the kinds of mistakes I used to “beat up” on my lifesaving students about. I'm not saying I was in dire danger – I surfaced still with air and with Son who had more, and my second safety stop wasn't mandatory – but I'd erased important safety “cushions” from my dives. If anyone can add anything, we'd love to hear it. We're all about learning safety at this point. Thanks!

Last edited:
As you say, you know pretty well what you (and Son) should have done, and you found out how frustrating it can be when you and your buddy are too far from each other when you need to communicate. Well lessons learnt. One thing I would suggest is that you get your own equipment including a propper regulator with diaphram valves that will give you much easier breating.

Sounds like you learned what you needed to learn from the experience, without suffering dire consequences. Anything described as a "learning experience" is usually unpleasant at the time but you'll be a better, more aware diver for it. Hang in there!

You've already started the excellent habit of performing a self critique after every dive. Keep it up!

The DM most likely turned your air on full. You should develop the habit of always breathing off your regs at the surface just before splashing in. Watch your SPG when you do. If your air is on full. The needle will be steady. If not, it'll dance Ll over the place.

It's also possible that the DM adjusted the Venturi control on your second stage. Regs should breath OK, but not great, with it out of adjustment or even still set for "predive." Maybe the lesson hear us get your own equipment Nd no deal with "rental roulette."

Keep diving!!

Oh, and practice air shares with Son. You never know, . . . .

Some of my best lessons have come from the screw ups that haven't killed me. Sounds like you learned some of the most important ones early and now understand the "why" part.

I'll add that you should think about drawing 3 - 7 breaths on your regulator while watching your pressure gauge just before you get in the water. If you notice the needle move each time you draw a breath then your air is still off!

Also, sticking together as a buddy is not just when you meet at the bottom. Try to splash in one right after the other, and stick together at the surface. Your descents should be used for looking over each others gear checking for bubbles.

I was on a trip a few years ago where we had to do back rolls off a boat. One of the divers trusted the boat crews' all clear signal with out checking himself, and backrolled on top of another diver. Everyone thought it was a near miss, and it wasn't apparent that he had actually hit his head on the other divers tank until he passed out at the surface. I can only assume the boat crew mistakened his hand going to the back of his head in pain as his OK signal. Once the DM noticed several of us swimming franticly toward him, I got to witness one of the most impressive flying leaps from a boat as the DM jumped in to rescue him. Not sure where his buddy was at.

What the DM likely adjusted was the ease of breathing. With regulators it's an important part of your safety and buddy check to take 2-3 breathes of your regulator while watching your SPG. That ensures that you can comfortably breathe as the regulator matches ambient pressure (ie. you don't feel a large difference of EOB at depth) and that your air is on. Lessons learned, definitely important to stick close to your buddy, another lesson however that if you cannot signal them, especially in a situation like this, they're in a group. If you're low on air or out, surface. Your buddy will eventually get low on air as well or figure it out, in the end you have to save your own butt and sometimes finding your buddy when you're low on air isn't always optimal. Remember, they could be just as low if not lower than you.

One thing you and your son may want to discuss to strengthen your buddy system is staying within 10-15 feet of each other (closer if drift) and leaving only a minute before you surface or find each other/ rally point if you're either too far away or lose visual contact. The buddy system only works if you're near your buddy :)

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I mostly was disappointed in myself because I had received competent training, and knew what I SHOULD have done in advance, but it's amazing how every situation tends to throw you a few curves and its easy to get distracted to the point you forget the basics.

The comments about buying my own equipment are well taken. I know my air was "full on" -- it was just a reg resistance level I hadn't encountered before, and that started the whole dive off "wrong."

I'm looking forward to getting better with practice, and appreciate the feedback here.

It's great that you're taking the personal responsibility for yourself (and son) and are aware of what you need to improve. Putting effort into your scuba diving will only make you progress better.

I understand that it's difficult to maintain your abilities when you dive only once or twice a year. I'm not sure what the diving situation is in Atlanta, but I'd recommend doing some local diving semi-regularly (maybe once a month or so) or at least a couple of pool sessions every few months to keep your skills sharp.

DM did something to my regulator which loosened it up a little (CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT?), and back down I went . . . still gulping air. LESSON #1 – TEST AND BE HAPPY WITH YOUR EQUIPMENT BEFORE YOU GET IN THE WATER.

Depends on what reg it was- some regs have adjustments for loosening the cracking pressure (meaning you don't have to suck as hard to draw air). Venturi panes can either direct or disrupt the air flow, also affecting the 'ease of breathing'.

Unfortunately, Son had drifted about 20' behind and down again, and I had to swim down to get him. We went the short distance to the line, and completed our safety stop. By then, I was entering the “red zone” (300 psi – Son still had 900 psi), and the reg was getting hard to pull on again (whether the original problem, or running low, I don't know). I did have enough to inflate my BCD at the surface.

300psi isn't much at all. Normally the 'red zone' is around 700 or 750psi. Especially on rental gear with which you don't know the history. Some gauges read higher or lower. My own rental gauges from Mares had a 5bar (75psi) difference straight from the box. My own gauges have read higher or lower in the past- but I know this from comparing with other gauges, and so I could adjust accordingly. No need to surface with a third of your gas, unless doing some fairly intense diving- but more is always better than none.

Despite seeing a lot of beautiful things, I ended the day a bit upset with myself.

Self-critiquing is a good thing... within reason. You've already logged your experiences by way of this thread- a great way to keep the experience fresh in your mind even years from now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom