New diver in the East End, Long Island, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrandWazoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone,

I've been using this site for research, as I am a newbie, I live in Southampton, NY. I am interested in diving more but finding out that boat dives are mainly a weekend outing, I am a chef and work weekends so wondering if there are any boats that go out on Mondays and Tuesdays and/or any experienced local divers who dive weekdays. I have no problem driving anywhere on the Island, just want to get in the water to gain more experience.

I currently have my AOW and Nitrox certifications and 32 dives, I also own my own equipment except a tank and weights, which I will purchase soon.

Thanks in advance and I also appreciate the information provide on this forum from the more experienced divers.

Welcome to ScubaBoard. I haven't dove in New York and I'm not familiar with the offerings. Have you contacted any of the area dive boat operators or dive clubs/dive shops to ask?

Richard.

For shops on the east end you can talk to Hampton Dive Center or Goodlife Divers (in Lindenhurst, so not technically east end, but primarily a local diving shop). The boats you'll want to reach out to are the Sea Turtle, Halftime or Sidekick (now operated by Goodlife Divers).

There are also local dive clubs that put together their own charter schedule. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want more info about anything I mentioned above.

For shops on the east end you can talk to Hampton Dive Center or Goodlife Divers (in Lindenhurst, so not technically east end, but primarily a local diving shop). The boats you'll want to reach out to are the Sea Turtle, Halftime or Sidekick (now operated by Goodlife Divers).

There are also local dive clubs that put together their own charter schedule. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want more info about anything I mentioned above.
Thanks for the response and info, I have been using the Hampton Dive Center, I bought a lot of my equipment there, they have been helpful but the charters they deal with mainly go out on weekends only.
I am planning contacting Good Life Divers for more options, I get local dive info from them but the shore dives conflict with my schedule.

Having been a Chef for 35 years, I am fairly used to having an inconvenient schedule, but since I began diving I am eager to go as frequently as possible, I have the means but my free time is limited to Mondays and Tuesdays during the summer.

Weekday boat charters are tough in the area. The Gypsy Blood in NJ regularly goes out Thursday and Friday in the summer, but usually only Monday's if it is a holiday.

On Long Island, Seahawk in Freeport is the only one I know that might do Mondays, but Sunday is probably better.

I would reach out to the The Dive Club on Long Island (Home - The Dive Club). They do a lot of shore diving and some boat charters. But Mondays and Tuesdays would be much easier to find a buddy and dive off the shore or in one of the quarries in NJ/PA. Dutch Springs used to be great for this, but now we have to settle for Willow Springs, Round Valley Reservoir, or Lancaster Scuba's quarry.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

Weekday boat charters are tough in the area. The Gypsy Blood in NJ regularly goes out Thursday and Friday in the summer, but usually only Monday's if it is a holiday.

On Long Island, Seahawk in Freeport is the only one I know that might do Mondays, but Sunday is probably better.

I would reach out to the The Dive Club on Long Island (Home - The Dive Club). They do a lot of shore diving and some boat charters. But Mondays and Tuesdays would be much easier to find a buddy and dive off the shore or in one of the quarries in NJ/PA. Dutch Springs used to be great for this, but now we have to settle for Willow Springs, Round Valley Reservoir, or Lancaster Scuba's quarry.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.
Thank you for the information, I will probably do some guided dives and in September I will be free on Sundays< I will be able to get on a boat dive then

Back
Top Bottom