New Diver going to Oahu then cruise, advice wanted!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midnite135

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Howdy all,

My name is Josh and I would love some advice from some of you.

Ok, so in preparation for this trip to Hawaii, and because I have always wanted to, I have gotten certified. I will be departing tomorrow for Oahu and should arrive around 8 your time. I am coming with partial gear and will need to rent some.

Have:
BP/W, 3mil, Mask/Snorkel/Fins

Will need: Tanks, Regs, Weights.. Should I rent a computer?

I am coming with my girlfriend and her family, (about 14 people) but I am the only one with an interest in diving and I am inexperienced. The trip is basically a stay in Oahu from Wed evening the 14th til Saturday the 17 at which point we will board a cruise that will have a stay on several of the islands. After the cruise I will have a few more days on Oahu. Our itinerary once we board is below...

Day Port Arrive Depart
Sat. Honolulu, Oahu - - 8:00pm
Sun. Hilo, Hawaii 8:00am 7:00pm
Mon. Kahului, Maui 8:00am overnight
Tue. Kahului, Maui - - 6:00pm
Wed. Kona, Hawaii 7:00am 6:00pm
Thu. Nawiliwili, Kauai 8:00am overnight
Fri. Nawiliwili, Kauai - - 2:00pm
Sat. Honolulu, Oahu 7:00am - -

I didnt particularly want to do the ship's excursion dives so I have not opted to go that route.

I would love to find some dives while I am in Oahu and would love to hear recommendations on where to go, and which shops I might go through. I would also like to know which of our stops I should not pass up a chance to dive, as well as where and who I might go through again.

I am not against shore diving, but alas I know no one and unless I luck into finding someone here willing to dive with me I dont know how feasable that will be. Anyone willing to take me under wing? Anyone else going to be in the area at that time that might be in a similar situation? Would love to meet up with some locals to dive with during the trip, or even another vacationing diver.

I would really like to do a night dive while I am there, is there some requirement I may not meet in order to do that due to inexperience? If not, where should I look into doing this?

Lastly, I do have 1 going who would have some interest in snorkeling, considering my trip is there some place I may consider taking him for that?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post and especially those who would reply.

Stay Safe,
Josh

Thanks for the response, is it just me or do those 2 links goto the same site?

-Josh

Sorry, I didn't see this till today...Hope you have a nice trip :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom