New diver flooded camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sometimes I pretend that I'm not interested in them. I'll look the other way and look at something else. But as soon as I turn around, they swim away. They know. They sense the hunting vibe even though my weapon is just a camera. Fish are not stupid.

Something about that big mouth suddenly coming their way does seem to disturb them! :rofl3:
I did have much better luck a couple weeks ago on Bonaire, even before the camera went belly up. Fish were much easier to approach, for some reason, all that week.

Stop, take a breath.

Do some more diving first. Before you obstruct your underwater vision by holding a camera in front of you, let your eyes and mind adjust to this new activity. At 11 dives and completing your AOW, you might not know it, but you really have a full plate right now. Before adding to the multi-tasking list, know that "picture taking" uses up a lot of processing power in a diver's brain !

We are all eager to retain memories by taking pictures, we are all eager to share this new vista with our families, friends and work associates.

After maybe 50 more dives, you will likely look back upon the images that (at first) interested you and find them to be quite everyday and ordinary. There are a number of Squirrel Fish pictures on everyone's first photo outing :wink:

QUOTE]

Dam. And I thought that it was just me! :shakehead: At least the Squirrel Fish stayed put for this beginner! :D

A simple hair on the o-ring can cause a bad seal and leak. I personally like the ikelite housings that allow you to see the seal after you close the case. I also would take the o-ring out clean and lube it before starting a new day of diving. In between dives I wouldn't open my case.

to the OP: I've read where you should check your housing before diving to check for leaks, did you do that? I'm going to get a camera within the next year, and of course everytime I hit the water with it I'll be wondering if 'this is the time' :eyebrow:

Good idea (I do that with my video housings quite a bit) but the Sealife Reefmaster Mini (the OP's camera) doesn't have a seperate housing. The camera actually IS the housing with a seal around the little door to the battery/card compartment. The best one can do is to inspect the o-ring and seal to make sure nothing is obstructing or compromising it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom