New Dive Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As many of you already know, my dear old 1986 Chevy Suburban was murdered on 9/16 when she was torpedoed by a Ford Fusion that rammed her at high speed and caused us to roll over three times. The other driver's insurance company gave me a very fair settlement for the destruction of my baby and I used the money to buy my new dive buddy, "Dixie." I call her Dixie because I found her in North Carolina.

Dixie is a 1999 Chevy Suburban, 2WD. It took me awhile to find the configuration that I wanted: Third seat, barn doors at the rear, rear heat and A/C and 2WD. The vast majority of Suburbans are 4WD and I don't have much need for 4WD and I wanted better gas mileage.

My boys and I are planning an after-Christmas dive trip to Crystal River, Rainbow River and the various springs in northern Florida. Dixie will be our companion and means of transportation for the trip.

Y'all say "Hi" to Dixie! :D

Dixie 007.jpgDixie 008.jpg

Hi Dixie, and congratulations.

SeaRat

The model name Suburban has been in continous use since 1935. The longest of any model name.
I am on my 4th Surburban ,a 2007, over the past 37 years, the first was a 1974.

I still miss my 84 diesel, 21 mpg at 75 mph with a 40 gallon tank.
Wavy to me as you go through.

The model name Suburban has been in continous use since 1935. The longest of any model name.
I am on my 4th Surburban ,a 2007, over the past 37 years, the first was a 1974.

We bought our first Suburban new in 1978. It was a 1/2 ton, 2wd model. We bought our second new Suburban, a 3/4 ton, 2WD model, in 1985. I traded it even for a 1985 Chevy 1/2 ton van in 1999. I drove the van until Sept. 2009. I bought my 1986 Suburban in Sept. 2008 for $1500. Over the next year,, I put over $6000 into restoring her to like new condition. I did the work myself and it was a labor of love. In Sept. 2009, she was back on the street and, over the next two years, took us on a couple of road trips out West and all over the South. Filled with dive gear and/or camping equipment, she was our companion on numerous adventures and served us well. Her last act was to protect my wife, youngest son and me as she rolled over three times on I-77 in Charleston. In spite of the violence of the accident, neither the body or the top was crushed in more than and inch or two.

As we crawled out of the wreckage, I looked at my wife and said "We have to get another Suburban."

Chevy Suburbans are tough and heavily built. As far as I'm concerned, the Suburban is the King of the SUVs. I'll never own anything else.

We've owned several over the years. Just traded our 99 GMC with 275,000 miles, 9 mpg, 4x4, 454 in for a 07 Tahoe. Much better gas mileage and the newer ones have less roll to them when cornering. But gosh, I love the Burb! Great roadtrip, dive, towing, all-around vehicle.

Dixie, welcome to the family!

I still miss my 84 diesel, 21 mpg at 75 mph with a 40 gallon tank.
Wavy to me as you go through.

I had the exact same one. The family hated it because it could go 800 miles between fuel and bathroom stops.

Nice ride hope your healing well and fast. You'll love the rivers I did both several times while the Manetees are wintering. The rainbow has fossiles and a lot of Gar fish. Adventure scuba took care of me when i was there. Enjoy

Thanks, AD.

I'm going down with my LDS, if he can put together enough people to make it worthwhile to the shop. Part of the reason we're going is to finish my youngest son's OW. He would've had his card long before this but we had our accident the week before he was supposed to go to Circleville. I think he'll enjoy doing his OW in the Rainbow River more, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom