New Dive Buddy Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting story and i have had 1 major insta-buddy nightmare before, not going to thread jack and tell the story but i feel your pain, especially since he jeopardized the safety of your family. The only thing that i would have never done is ask him if he had a snorkel and suggest he borrow one (pre-dive), it is not my business to question his gear choices. Not questioning your logic at all just saying what i would not do. Glad it worked out for you and your son. Safe diving.

This happens all the time on the boats for one of our local shops.....maybe I wouldn't fuss if it was once in a while that a pal just doesn't show, but they actually let people book without a dive buddy at all! They don't even get a profile before the captain starts barking "who can let this guy dive with them?" and there is no opportunity to conduct any type of interview....

I fell for it ONCE - letting a stranger join my group of 5 friends on a night dive - and we had a horrible & dangerous dive experience also requiring emergency ascent. Now I just pretend to be completely deaf when they ask for a buddy - and I would never dream of imposing myself on others in that fashion (even though I'd be an awesome buddy, lol)

In my opinion, bringing a buddy is just as important as bringing your fins!

First, I never use a snorkel. You won't find one on my kit unless required by standards!

Second, A buddy can call a dive at any time but you don't have to put yourself in a situation that will cause you grief. I would have probably stayed on the bottom.

Third: I will buddy with anyone at any time. I adjust my diving to theirs for the most part.

I don't enjoy diving with people I know nothing about especially if you get a bad feeling pre-dive.

After that there really isn't a good answer. Do what you can for them without endangering yourself. I don't like that feeling of being a babysitter or of worrying about them more than they are worrying about themselves.

I really don't think people should be paired up on the boat at the last minute even though I know it happens all the time. I think the OP did a good job given the circumstances. I don't really think the pre-dive chat makes much difference with someone as described here. If they are going to panic they certainly aren't going to follow a pre-dive discussion no matter how through.

I don't enjoy diving with people I know nothing about especially if you get a bad feeling pre-dive.

...I don't like that feeling of being a babysitter or of worrying about them more than they are worrying about themselves.

I'm with you!!!

PSFlyer--

When diving with your child, you have a good excuse for not taking on a third person, "Sorry, but I'm diving with my son and he gets my full attention."

Great to know, I can read these and learn from each one.. So when Im in the keys on weekends Im not Joe :wink:

I hear you on the snorkel angle - not everyone uses it all the time (that includes me)... But given the surface conditions at that time, I considered having one as being pretty important. As a matter of fact if my "new dive buddy" did not have one, this whole story may have ended much worse...

Back
Top Bottom