New Cozumel scuba scavenger hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome To the Board. I particularly enjoy having a local business owner on this site. I absolutely see a unfulfilled nitch in the market for people with only a short time to spend on the island (yes...cruisers) that would like to dive and spend the rest of their day shopping, drinking, and/or burning to a crisp at a beach club. I wish you the best of luck and while Scuba Hunt is not really my thing, I will recommend it to my students as an extended version of a salt water weight check with more fun things to do while they work on their buoyancy skills before heading out to big water. With a 4:1 ratio, it actually sounds like a great first dive.

I hope to see you here often and wish you the best of luck on the success of your business. Since you're there....have a Bohemia Obscura for me!

Jay
+1

Welcome To the Board. I particularly enjoy having a local business owner on this site. I absolutely see a unfulfilled nitch in the market for people with only a short time to spend on the island (yes...cruisers) that would like to dive and spend the rest of their day shopping, drinking, and/or burning to a crisp at a beach club. I wish you the best of luck and while Scuba Hunt is not really my thing, I will recommend it to my students as an extended version of a salt water weight check with more fun things to do while they work on their buoyancy skills before heading out to big water. With a 4:1 ratio, it actually sounds like a great first dive.

I hope to see you here often and wish you the best of luck on the success of your business. Since you're there....have a Bohemia Obscura for me!

Jay

+ Another one

Hi there-
we decided to to institute qualifications to participate- Open Water with a minimum of 20 logged dives, plus comfort, confidence and competence with Cozumel currents. To further bolster safety protocol, we will supply a conservative 4:1 guest to guide supervision ratio. [...] There will only be two teams of two navigating the course at a time, so the course won't be degraded by too many nor too inexperienced divers.

Hi Steve. Welcome to the board. Even though this activity doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, I do hope you enjoy a safe and successful start to your business. I'm glad to hear you are taking safety seriously and have put some thought into minimum requirements for your customers. How do you assess the competence with drift diving? Do they have to dive with you on a regular dive before they do the course? Do you have any way to accommodate solo divers who might just want to run through the course with a guide to keep an eye on them?

Hi Steve. Welcome to the board. Even though this activity doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, I do hope you enjoy a safe and successful start to your business. I'm glad to hear you are taking safety seriously and have put some thought into minimum requirements for your customers. How do you assess the competence with drift diving? Do they have to dive with you on a regular dive before they do the course? Do you have any way to accommodate solo divers who might just want to run through the course with a guide to keep an eye on them?

The majority of our guests will be referrals from their host dive shops where they will be diving in the south, so those shops already have our requirements and should serve as reasonable filters.

Our website will clearly articulate those requirements.

Our liability form is written in very layman's English that clearly alerts divers that they need to be honest with themselves and us about their level of experience.

Like every other dive shop in Cozumel or anywhere for hat matter, we can create reasonable safeguards, but the diver ultimately has to choose to be honest and cooperative. We are not the scuba police. But if a diver starts the course and turns out to be a danger to themselves or others, obviously our guide will abort their dive. At the end of the day, we do our due diligence and expect reciprocity from responsible divers.

No single divers can be accomodated, as Scuba Hunt is structured as a team game for two partners.

Hi there-
I'm Steve. I was not aware of this thread until a couple of days ago, so my apologies for not a more timely reply.

I'm not a big online debater, but I do value being transparent and accountable.so I will try and offer a brief response.

Thanks for your detailed description! You have obviously done your homework and research and you have the experience to boot. Looks like it could be fun. I wish you success!

PS You should do a locals day. Some may want to try it out and recommend to others, but most of us don't want to pay excursion prices. Just a thought.

PS You should do a locals day. Some may want to try it out and recommend to others, but most of us don't want to pay excursion prices. Just a thought.

Hi there-

Yeah, it makes sense to have a locals pricing policy, as I am the beneficiary of such local pricing with other local companies. For the moment, the policy will be informal. If a local is really interested, they can send us a message requesting local pricing and we can figure out payment outside of our online booking system, probably PayPal.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom