New Cozumel based Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't done a live-aboard yet. From what I've read, the advantages are:

1.) Efficient high dive life-style, like ScubaFanatic described. Gear stays set up, put on, dive, crawl out, take off, eat, nap, repeat. I've noticed other live-aboard threads talk about 4 or 5 dives per day, the 5'th a night dive. Seems like you guys are max. 4. Any night dives? (Note: I'm aware Cozumel is famous for drift diving - which I'm guessing might be a problem at night?). It's because of this 'high frequency diving' that people like nitrox to keep NDL's at bay. To me (not everybody), live-aboards and (for me) Bonaire are the 2 main reasons for nitrox!

2.) Exotic dive sites - hitting less dove, more pristine reefs better populated with larger fish & other life forms, because the sites aren't practical to reach from shore. I think some Bahamas live-aboards draw on this. Are the sites you hit significantly superior to the those the boat charter people hit?

If I were planning a Cozumel trip (actually hope to do 2 or 3 dives one day visiting early 2011), I'd consider a land resort & boat charter combo. so I'd have the option to see the island, eat at a variety of places, & see some Mayan ruins & maybe jungle. If I'd dove Cozumel a few times before, I might be indifferent to much of that, but not as a newcomer.

Your live-aboard option would intrigue me, but would the added convenience/simplicity &, if it applies, more exotic dive sites make up for the loss of the land-based advantages? Especially with no nitrox & a max. of 4 dives per day? Not knocking the idea; just exploring it.

Richard.

With Damselfish. I would also suggest leaving out of the mainland rather than Cozumel itself. Flying into Cancun can easily cut $400 or more off the plane fare for a direct to Coz which would make a liveaboard more appealing cost wise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom