New career as Dive Master ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocobello

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone out there. Looking at retiring in a few years. Would like to climb the prof. ladder to Dive Master, and spend our winters somewhere warm for 3-4 months.
We can stay in the states or any where in Caribbean, Mexico, Belize or Costa Rica. Just looking for for some work to keep busy and enjoy diving for free. If I can make a few $'s for some beers all the better. My question would be, being a Dive Master, would it be worth it or do I need to go all the way to Instructor ?
Would be looking at retiring at 55-57, am in great shape, strong swimmer, good looking, etc, etc. Could I be marketable to any dive shop or resort.
Please be honest, I can take it.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

The pay here for divemastering an OW class is $200--that's probably minimum 15 hours work. THINK instructors get about $500 for maybe a class of 6. To DM a charter the pay is $5 per diver and you get to go free. DM gets free air of course and 15% off shop purchases, repairs, etc.

Hello everyone out there. Looking at retiring in a few years. Would like to climb the prof. ladder to Dive Master, and spend our winters somewhere warm for 3-4 months.
We can stay in the states or any where in Caribbean, Mexico, Belize or Costa Rica. Just looking for for some work to keep busy and enjoy diving for free. If I can make a few $'s for some beers all the better. My question would be, being a Dive Master, would it be worth it or do I need to go all the way to Instructor ?
Would be looking at retiring at 55-57, am in great shape, strong swimmer, good looking, etc, etc. Could I be marketable to any dive shop or resort.
Please be honest, I can take it.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

The people working as DMs in the SCUBA industry in the countries you mentioned are usually Instructors. Any true DMs would be locals.

To be marketable at that level you would need to be an Instructor, preferably with some Specialties, like a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT). Another language, boat handling skills and equipment repair training would also be helpful in making you more marketable.

Back
Top Bottom