New Canon S90 & Canon Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I checked around locally and I can get the ike s90 housing for $310 but the wide angle lenses and other accessories are not so available. The INON dealer here carries a more complete line.

I was thinking since the Ike has a 67mm mount built-in. Then it is also one less thing to buy. Plus I get a deeper rating and what seems to be a more rugged housing than the Canon housing. Do the INON 67mm wide angle work with the s90 in the Ike Housing since it is 28mm at it's wide setting? I was wondering if anyone has any experience with that combo?

Of course I also saw a FIX housing for $735 from the same shop. So I am not really any closer to making a decision.

I really like the INON System of Lenses, Strobes and Arms and was hoping to just find a camera/housing that will kinda just "drop-in" to the heart of it all.

There is a "drop in" solution and it is the FIX90 housing. The Canon and Ikelite are going to frustrate you way more if mounting wet lenses is your interest for wide angle photography.

N

What wide angle lens do you use with yours FIX ?

Inon UFL165AD fisheye lens
Inon UWL100-67mm with dome assembly kit

I am not up to the detail explanation now, this thread details everything:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/317325-fisheye-fix-s90.html

The FIX cost more up front for less frustration and more capability in the long run, you get what you pay for, decide what you need and if mounting accessory lenses, particularly wide angle is your interest, the drop in solution is the FIX90, and yes, it is expensive.

N

Nemrod,

I somehow overlooked the huge thread on the FIX S90 housing. Thanks for the link. Wow! there is so much info on the FIX.

You seem to be the guru on the FIX housing as you have both the enthusiasm for it as well as having put in the ''due diligence'' necessary to figure out what works best.

I noticed that you have the Inon UFL165AD fisheye lens and Inon UWL100-67mm with dome assembly kit.

Doesn't this mean you have two mounts, one for each set up? AD and a 67mm?

I noted on the thread you did not use the 28AD and just zoom out to 35mm when using the AD mount?

I really do appreciate others having "blazed the trail" and am simply hoping to get the most out of their experience.

As it is, I am already leaning towards the FIX and might get it this afternoon. I still don't have the camera but that is easy.

I am just hoping the INON Dealer here has what I need to get the set up put together with all the necessary adapters.

Nemrod,

I somehow overlooked the huge thread on the FIX S90 housing. Thanks for the link. Wow! there is so much info on the FIX.

You seem to be the guru on the FIX housing as you have both the enthusiasm for it as well as having put in the ''due diligence'' necessary to figure out what works best.

I noticed that you have the Inon UFL165AD fisheye lens and Inon UWL100-67mm with dome assembly kit.

Doesn't this mean you have two mounts, one for each set up? AD and a 67mm?

I noted on the thread you did not use the 28AD and just zoom out to 35mm when using the AD mount?

I really do appreciate others having "blazed the trail" and am simply hoping to get the most out of their experience.

As it is, I am already leaning towards the FIX and might get it this afternoon. I still don't have the camera but that is easy.

I am just hoping the INON Dealer here has what I need to get the set up put together with all the necessary adapters.

No, I do not have the FIX 28AD mount kit and FIX does NOT make an AD kit mount.

I use only the FIX 67mm kit mount. I built my own DIY AD to 67mm mount adapter a couple of years ago for my Ikelite 570 housing (67mm port). For people who do not have the ability to make an AD to 67mm adapter there is a off the shelf solution from 10Bar, they also make an AD to 67mm adapter. It is available from Optical Ocean sells whose owner posts here frequently. The DIY/10Bar AD to 67mm adapter threads into the FIX 67mm mount kit, thus I can use Inon AD lenses, universal type 67mm lenses etc.

DSCF0001-1.jpg

DSCF0002-2.jpg

DSCF0003-1.jpg

IMO, for somebody starting out fresh I would probably (but not necessarily) get the Fisheye WAL-04 lens and a 67mm Inon macro. But then again, I really, really like the Inon UFL165AD fisheye lens and I also have an Inon UCL165AD macro thus my interest in an AD mount adapter.

I also recently ordered but have not gotten yet a new design (and less expensive) FIX 52mm threaded mount for which a future Fisheye WAL-04 will be fitted for testing against the Inon lenses.

I have the Inon UWL100 plus dome because over the last couple of years I have acquired three different camera systems each with a different port system, only the FIX can utilize virtually every wet lens made via a system of admittedly expensive adapter kits.

Hope this helps.

N

Nemrod, thank you for being so patient with all the questions.

I noted you are able to use the Inon UFL 165AD Lens by using two adapters without any real vignetting issues. That lens is actually the Inon lens I really want. It is a lot smaller than the option of using the UWL 100 28AD plus the dome port (per the Inon Catalog) which is bulky and quite cumbersome at almost 2lbs. combined weight vs. just under 1 lb.

Would you happen to know if the 67mm to AD adapter from 10Bar is thicker or thinner than your DIY? Am afraid the difference might mean increased vignetting or other focus problems. Will see if I can source that locally.

I actually already decided on the FIX but the dealer told me he sold his last one this weekend. He does have some back ordered and expects them next week.

So maybe next week I manage to pull the trigger on the FIX.

Thanks again.

I have posted a few pics taken with the 10Bar adapter. Yes, it is slightly thicker and occasionally vignettes with the camera zoom at 35mm requiring about a 98% crop. The 10Bar sets the lens about 1mm further from the port than my DIY version.

The 10Bar adapter is a "tight" fit on the AD mounts. I have been studying on it and think it possible to shave it .5mm and still have an acceptable fit and perhaps get a little closer mating. It might also be possible to shave the FIX threaded adapter .5mm with no adverse effect on mounting 67mm lenses, in fact, it would probably help them as well.

Is a 98% crop a problem, not for Photoshop!

N

Last edited:
JFYI, using my camera and housing, the 10Bar has minimal to no vignetting in the corners but when it does it is usually the top RH corner. Using Photoshop, set the ratio to "Use Photo Ratio" and then set the cursor just inside the vignetting and crop. Or, you can go to a 4X6 and that always eliminates the vignetting.

My DIY mount does not require this cropping but the 10Bar might. Again, I can only speak for my S90, my FIX housing, my 10Bar adapter and my Inon UFL165AD lens. I guess we just have to assume my equipment and results are typical.

N

Like others, I like the feature set of the Canon S90 a lot. My five year old Olympus is still going strong, but the new cameras give such a quantum leap in image quality I felt it was time to upgrade (I also got an Olympus E PL1 setup, for other uses). As with anything, there are pros and cons, but the S90 seems a good compromise for a small setup -- for underwater photography "lite".

I paired mine with the Canon DC-35. I realized that I could step up to a much more professional housing, but I kept my low cost constraint in mind. Again, there are pro's and con's, compared to the Ikelite and FIX housings. Another factor in my choice was being able to use the on camera flash; the Ikelite housing blocks it. I suspect that for macro, where the flash is most effective, the Canon housing will block the flash too, so I am considering making a light duct like on the old Olympus PT-023 housing.

I've thought long and hard about this. Do I get a just a housing and camera, or add some add on lens options to make it more versatile? When I do that, this setup becomes more costly and bulky, contrary to my "lite" goal. Ahh, tradeoffs. I decided to add a close up lens and wide angle lens. The cost of a good macro lens, wide lens, and adapter equaled the cost of camera and housing, so this was worth serious analysis.

I compared several add on lens "families": those that mount on 67mm threads, Inon AD, and Inon 28AD. To compare, I looked at three factors: add on lens cost, lifetime, and breadth of suppliers. Cost seemed to favor 67mm, simply because there are a lot of used lenses available at good prices. Regarding lifetime, The 67mm lenses will probably have adapters for the next camera and housing I buy. Regarding multiple sources, there are many high quality 67mm macro and wide lenses. On paper, choosing lenses that mount on 67mm adapters looked more attractive, but I know it will be less convenient in use than a bayonet mount system. I may regret that choice, we'll see.

For a start I chose an Inon 165/67 close up lens and an Ikelite W20 wide angle lens. They were inexpensive and seem good quality, though I realize the W20 will vignette unless zoomed in, tough. The Fantasea Bigeye 67mm dome also looked attractive for this setup, I might try one. There have been reports of internal fogging occasionally with this Fantasea Bigeye, so I'm a little wary of it. It also seems more likely to scratch than the glass Ikelite W20. We'll see how this setup works out. I'll probably make a 67mm adapter myself, like this one:
Canon G9 & G7 housing - DIY 67mm lens adapter - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

That's one person's idea on configuring a system for the S90. I'm looking forward to using this "lite" setup to make some great memories on my next dive trip (Cabilao and Apo Islands, Philippines in June!!! Yeah!!)

I know it's not a perfect setup, but a wise person once told me the best camera to use is the one in your hand --- technique is more important than equipment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom