NEW Canon EOS-300[b]D[/b] and A80!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if there are going to be any consumer digitals developed past 5MP? Usually by now Olympus has at least leaked the intention to release the next model but nada. Yet this is the second new digital SLR in the last weeks or so.

The Oly C-5050 was skipped by alot of us waiting for the next version...wonder if we'll ever see it??? :rolleyes:

The EOS 300D is a 6.3MP DSLR that will retail for only $800 and use any Canon EOS EF lens. It uses almost exactly the same CMOS sensor as the famed Canon EOS 10D!

Wow, that's pretty cheap!! And I was just getting really comfy with my G2...

And speaking of high megapixel prosumer cameras, Sony recently announced an 8mp camera, the 828. They finally caved and put a CF slot on it :), and added lots of other goodies. Looks interesting, though if I were to upgrade, I'd probably steer towards a D-SLR.

-Roman.

The 828 is pretty damned cool looking. 8MP with nightshot and mechanical optical zoom. Probably a great idea for an UW camera if you don't have Canon EOS lenses already.

Not having any lenses for a housed SLR, I'm looking for something more like the Olympus and Canon pro-sumer digital already available...just with bigger MPs!

I should note that the 300D vs the 10D, the 300D has fewer customization options and lacks mirror lockup (important above water, not very important underwater).

James:

I agree in hoping that the 300D is "an EOS not a POS"

As to the 300 being the wrost canon ever... I think the EOS 300 (Rebel 2000) is a significant improvement over the previous rebels (EOS 500/N or 1000/N). The Canon EF-M was a truly crappy and worthless camera.

The 300D is actually based off of the 300v body (Rebel Ti) which is a little nicer than the 300 (metal mount and layout redesign, used both, 300v wins, but they both still are not on par with the wonderful Elan II (EOS 50) which I use as a secondary AF body to my EOS 3). If you want to see some crap... look at the new Rebel K2 (EOS 3000v). It is a castrated 300v (but it certainly beats the Rebel 500N that it replaces).

rumors that the EOS 300D has a mirror pentaprism instead of glass pentaprism... and that it has limited metering mode control opitions (center vs matrix... partial should always be available)

Rob Galbraith already has a side-by-side comparison between the 300D and 10D on his site:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6270-6325

The differences are in metering mostly, plus the 300D has a plastic body and has slower fps.
One other notable change is that it uses a new lens mount, EF-S. It's backward compatible with EF mount lenses, but Canon is coming out with a 18-55 EF-S that only fits the 300D. These lenses protrude further into the camera than EF lenses, making them shorter and lighter.

I'd say there's a market for both of these camera's, but it looks certain that Canon is going to make a huge jump with this one. It bridges the gap between digital point-and-shoots and SLR's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom