New camera to housing release timeframe??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danny.hightower

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There is a good chance Canon will announce a T4i / 650D on Feb 7th. While I understand it wont ship that day and there are never any guarantees vendors will make a housing for this camera I would like to get your thoughts on what you have seen time wise for the underwater manufacturers to release a housing after a camera is released? Is this 6 months or more like 12 months?

Thanks in advance,
Danny

Ikelite usually has a housing WITH TTL flash circuity on the market within 1-2-3 months from date they physically get the camera.

Although since the current Canon rebel T3i, 60D and 7D (all with the same sensor) are soooooooo good I don't know why anyone who wants to start shooting UW with a SLR would wait :) PLus HD video.......

Just my 2 cents.

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Latest Blog Post: Be a Gentle Diver / Photographer

Attachments

• GentleDiver013012.jpg
    GentleDiver013012.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 60
I agree with you the camera is fantastic but one thing I didnt realize when purchasing the camera is how an articulating screen would be a benefit (under certain situations) above water for shooting stills and video. I realize this IS Picky but i enjoy trying to get creative angles, taking goofy shots with my daughter and using a steadycam. All of these things lend itself to that articulated screen I thought i would never need.

Rumors have indicated that in a couple of weeks there could be a change in sensor and new processor that would also benefit video. Lastly some people complain about the camera auto focus being "not so great" when shooting video so there is some thought Canon will be looking to fix this problem in the next release. My thinking was that the majority of my investment is everything other than the body and it would be OK taking a $300 loss on on the body by trading up for the T4i if in fact there are enough new features to help justify it. So as it pertains to UW I dont see much of a reason to upgrade but i would really prefer not to invest in a UW housing if I could wait a couple of months for this to be sorted out.

BTW you have some fantastic pictures :)

Danny,

The Canon T3i and 60D HAVE an articulating screen. The Live View AF isn't TERRIBLE, but most underwater shooters look through the eyepiece and use the LCD for review (for stills.)

Current HD video with SLRs like these you basically shooting like a film maker. Frame, set focus and then roll some footage. Stop, recompose, re-focus and roll some more.

Too many video shooters leave the tape rolling way too long, never set up their shots, etc.

Canon may incorporate some AF in HD video with SLRS, but as long as there's a mirror that has to swing up out of the way it will be difficult. The Nikon D7000 I think does AF in video shooting but in dim light I've heard it struggles.

As I originally stated Ikelite usually has their housing out first......

Good luck and thanks for the comments on my images :)

David Haas

www.haasimages.com

Attachments

• IMG_8090.jpg
    IMG_8090.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 48

Back
Top Bottom