New camera priorities - PLEASE HELP ME!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torcatdog

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for a new camera for diving. I have studied a bit and really need help getting out of the rut! I purchased a sharkdiver reloadable 35 for our first trip.
I did get some cool pics but I do have higher aspirations! I have an OLY 3020-z 3.1 mp digital that is 4 years old. I have located the PT-010 housing and even a used package with an OLY 4040-Z and PT-010 housing for a little under $300.

Well, While I don't intend to go nuts - I am willing to spend what it takes to get started and save upgrading year after year. I also have a decent computer and software to manage digital files. And yes I can scan photos but cannot reist the instant gratification of a large LCD display!

I am concerned about not being able to match a strobe to a land adapted set-up. It seems that a rig designed for diving with appropriate modes and accessories should be a primary consideration.

Ideally I would find a 5mp digital camera, housing, strobe, case and a couple lenses, macro, wide and filters for around $800 - $1200. I have seen the DC-500 and am tempted! Perhaps my budget is too low to meet my expectations? There in lies the RUT. I would rather learn from other's experiences if possible and share my triumphs than stumble through avoidable lessons and expense.

Perhaps your version of an equipment list would help?
Camera, housing, arm, strobe, lens, case, memory cards, rechargeable batts, patience?

Oh yeah, I recently purchased a sealife SL-560 pro set (35mm w/ext strobe) for $190 mint condition. Thoughts? I feel the need for digital = RUT ;~)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Don't discount that 4040 - it's a nifty set up and I know a couple of avid uw photographers who are making it sing!

There is a wide variety of strobes that will work just fine with a compact digital in a housing - Inon, Sea&Sea, Ikelite, Sunpak just to name a few. Different strobes offer different things; make sure you get the right connector for your new system. A reputable dealer will make sure you do. I like Ryan at ryan@reefphoto.com as he is full of great info and really helps you choose what is right for your goals and your budget!

WOW I enjoyed you trip report on Cozumel! Great pics -
We will be there 3/23 - 4/2. Thus the camera panic!
Thanks for your input.

For just slightly more than your budget, I would get a Fuji E900, an Ikelite Housing and an Inon D2000 strobe. Go to http://digitaldiver.net and type E900 into the search engine....you will get LOTS of info. Also, go to the "Show Off" section and look at any thread started by Dr. Bob....you will be amazed. You can add external macro lenses, WA lens and a second strobe as you prgress. It should last you awhile. The only down side is that the camera uses xD cards (which I detest).

HTH,
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom