NEW Camera Gear From GoPro, SOON!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
LCD.sized.jpg

Stopped by the GoPro booth at Surf Expo over the weekend in Orlando, FL. Some gear that has been in the works is to hit the streets soon and at nice prices. Things like an LCD display, expanded battery and 3-D housing and software. There is even a less definitive rumor about an underwater corrective port coming out from GoPro. Lots of photos from the show and additional information at:

Great New Things From GoPro Cameras!!! - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

After 200 dives, I got tired of waiting for GoPro to offer a housing with a flat lens to solve the blur problem and bought the Eye of Mine solution two weeks ago. Watch this 2 minute video to see a side by side comparison of the housings on an actual dive in Grand Cayman earlier this week:
YouTube - Side by Side Comparison of Watertight Housings: GoPro vs. Eye of Mine

Hope GoPro puts their corrective ports on the market soon. I've been using both Eye of Mine and Sartek corrective ports for many months with fairly good results. I understand GoPro is to try to reduce or remove lens artifacts (vignetting) through different resolutions.

Nice housing comparison! I did something similar with the three housings at:

Eye of Mine vs. Standard Housing
Dania Erojacks AND Eyeofmine.com vs. Standard GoPro Housing Underwater - FKA Kiteboarding Forums
and
Free Dive Bottom Traverse Tenneco Tower & Camera Comparison - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Sartek vs. Eye of Mine
Gold Coast Underwater Grand Prix - Wreck Scooter Race - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

I found you really noticed the improvement of the corrective housings in close subjects and in lower light. The further the subject was away, better the viz. and lighting, the improvement was less obvious. The Sartek and Eye of Mine housings were similar in results although the fabrication of the Sartek (machined and bolted vs. silicon glued port) was more workman-like in appearance and perhaps more reliable.

Back
Top Bottom