New Camera For Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sig

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to get a digital camera in the next couple of months.

I've read some post on the Canon S40 and feel this might be more than what I want.First let me start by sayingI have used a couple of digital camera's but next to that I no nothing about digital camera's. I'd like to get something I can use for daily photagrphy and the occassional diving photo shoot. My biggest limiting factor is money. I'd like to spend only $200.00, I might go as high as $300.00 but would rather not as I have a baby on the way and the spending is going to be curbed. If it is possible I'd love to spend under $200.00 but I am trying to be realistic. At this time I just want something for daily use and would like to get the housing later. That being my secound qeustion. If you feel I can get into a decent camera for my price what would I be looking at spending on the housing.

Please let me know what I should look for and what I should spend. Any info on housing and the camera's will be appreciated.

Thanks

Going with a simple Canon digi cam would probably be your best bet, as far as $$$ is concerned. The S40, while a great little 4mp camera, is out of your price range. Expect to spend >$400. The 3mp S30 can be had for a bit less ($370ish). You can get a 2mp Canon A40 for a little over $200. The A40 is still a fairly capable camera, great for snapshots, and you can make very nice prints up to 5x7 or maybe even 8x10 from them. Canon also makes a housing for those cameras, good to 100ft, which can be had for less than $200 when you're ready. Check Adorama or B&H for some nice deals, or look on eBay. Hope this helps!

-Roman.

Roman's probably given you the best suggestions for your price range.

for UW housing for my A40 hadn't heard of the Adorama before. Thanks for posting those links! Has one of the better prices for UW housing so far :)

Always glad to be of help. I too found Adorama to have some of the best prices around. I've had pretty good luck with them so far.

-Roman.

Did you know that Aldorama is the photo part of Leisure Pro?

Owned by same people, same address, etc. I've had pretty good luck with both so far. Not to start another online/LDS debate, especially in this forum :wink: , but while there's been quite a bit of talk about LP not being an authorized dealer for the gear they sell, Adorama actually seems to be listed as an authorized dealer for a number of retailers.

-Roman.

I've had very good dealings with both places.

Thanks for all the help. Is a 100ft about the maxx for housing or are there any offered for about 200ft or even 150ft.

The Oly housings up to the PT-015 have a 30m limit to them and the newest PT-015 has a 40m limit. I don't think any of the clear Ikelite housings have a deep depth rating but someone correst me if I'm wrong.

L&M's Tetra housing is metal and I think it's depth rating is 250ft. I'd have to dig through some websites to varify any of that! But as an Oly PT-010 owner, I'm sure of the Oly stats. I've had mine down a bit farther than the rating with no problems so there's some 'fudge factor' involved!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom