New camera: Film Speed question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

balance

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently got a bit of a deal on a Reefmaster CL... I'd have preferred a digital, but I really can't afford one and am comfortable learning on a cheap 35mm that won't reduce me to tears if I flood it. With the deal I got, I break even after maybe three rolls worth of shots versus the underwater disposables, and the Reefmaster should give me a slightly better chance at acceptable shots.

It's also small and can be tucked away when not in active use. As a beginner, I appreciate this since there's liable to be times when I'm working on higher-priority issues like ascents and descents.

One question: Several sources indicate I should go with 400 speed film for any underwater use. The book for the Reefmaster indicates 200 is preferred. Do you think I should stick with the 400 or downgrade to 200?

Thanks in advance! Any comments on the Reefmaster will be greatly appreciated as well.

There is very little difference in quality between 200 and 400 film. There is a bigger difference between different manufacturers.
I would go for slide film Fuji or kodak as they seemed to give me the best colour.
If you can get a strobe not just the internal flash that will make a big difference.

Have fun and post some pics.

If you are going to enlarge your prints the grain in 400 speed film will be noticable. My suggestion would be to increase the amount of light (brighter strobe) and stay below ISO 200. When I shot with film I used ISO 100 for regular shots and ISO 50 for my macro shots.

'Slogger

Interesting... I thought I had read several sources that recommended 400. I'll have to do some more research, but i may just shoot what I have and use it as a baseline for future experimentation. I'm still new enough to diving that 'clear and legible' is the objective, and quality for enlargements is secondary to that.

Since you're new I would start with the ISO 400, I found it was more forgiving of my movements during the shot. My husband used to shoot ISO 50 slides and would get a handful of good shots, when I asked him to try the ISO 400 because I wanted prints we only threw away a handful of shots from each roll. Use the 400 until you get used to taking pictures while managing your buoyancy then try some of the slower films.
Ber :lilbunny:

Thanks, Ber Rabbit. That makes sense. I'm used to a good-quality digital (Canon G6) on the surface, but haven't shot film in years.

Back
Top Bottom