New Camera Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cherbie

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

Let me begin by saying I am an AMATEUR. My goal is to moderately improve my underwater pictures. I am trying to determine if it is worth upgrading my current camera or if my issue is primarily the photographer.

Currently I have a Nikon Coolpix L11 with a housing and a slave strobe. Works resonably well. Further I own an Optio that I use for land pictures near the water. The Option is a few years old. I mention it because I have contemplated getting a housing for it.

I have been reading the threads about the Canon S95 or G12. Is it worth the upgrade? For the amateur any more opinion on the S95 vs the G12? Do both have housings readily available?

Thanks,
Chris

Both Canon cameras are easy to use and have housings readily available. However, the housing for the G12 is the one that is for the G11 and it's my understanding that some of the G12 features might not be available. Check the Canon part of this forum for a discussion on that.

When I upgrade from my SeaLife DC1000, I will go with the Canon G series or get a housing for my DSLR, also a Canon. My suggestion is that you go to a camera store and test drive several different cameras and see which one fits you the best. The Coolpix is not a bad camera.

You might also want to take some classes in U/W photography and earn a specialty in it. Cameras do not behave underwater like they do on land. If you can get to some of the larger scuba shows, such as Beneath the Sea, sign up for all the photography courses you can handle.

Finally, it would help if you posted some pics to this thread, so others can look at them and see what is readily noticeable.

opinion.png

If you want to "improve" the quality of your underwater photos then yes an upgrade is worth it if you are willing to use some manual settings and shoot in RAW mode. If you are going to continue to shoot in the P or Auto mode then no need.

Your current Nikon camera does not have RAW capability and does not have manual settings such as Tv, Av and M.

The S95 is more compact than the G12. It also has a 2.0 lens versus the 2.8 on the G12.
The S95 in an Ikelite or other non-Canon housing is better suited for add-on wet mount lenses than the G12 because it has less zoom.

If you want more zoom then the G12 is better than the S95. The G12 has 2 Custom settings instead of the 1 on the S95. Some have said the G12 has better macro than the S95. I can't confirm that.

The G12 has an articulating monitor which is nice for land use if that matters. The G12 has a hot shoe for an external strobe on land and/or a true TTL (hard wired) strobe connection underwater with some housings (not Canon).

If one is to use the camera without an external strobe the S95 is better than the G12. The lens tunnel on the G12 is longer and blocks more of the internal flash than the S95.

I have a G10 in a Canon housing with a slave strobe and love it. I just finished using a borrowed S90 in a Canon housing and liked it also. The G and S cameras both take great photos. My personal preference is the G camera BUT I don't use any add-on wet mount lenses.

Both Canon cameras are easy to use and have housings readily available. However, the housing for the G12 is the one that is for the G11 and it's my understanding that some of the G12 features might not be available.

It is true that the same Canon housing is for the G11 and G12. The external difference between the G11 and G12 cameras is a small dial on the front of the G12. That dial (wheel) can be temporarily disabled and the features it controls can be accessed via other controls. That is most likely why Canon did not make a separate housing for the G12.

Take note there is a dial on the rear of the G10, G11 and G12 that is also NOT accessible in the Canon housings. Additional button pushing is required to duplicate that dial function. The dial IS on the Ikelite and some other brand housings.

That same dial is on the rear of the S90 and S95 and is NOT on the Canon OR Ikelite housings. Button pushing is also required to duplicate its functions. That dial may be on some of the higher priced housings.

opinion.png

If you want to "improve" the quality of your underwater photos then yes an upgrade is worth it if you are willing to use some manual settings and shoot in RAW mode. If you are going to continue to shoot in the P or Auto mode then no need.
I agree with Gilligan, especially with the above "highlighted" part of his reply. The beauty/power of the S90/95 or G10/11/12 is the ability to shoot "full manual", RAW, great sensor, 2.0 ap (S90/95), etc. I'm an S90 user, and I use 4 different modes when diving; Tv, Av, M, & C. Custom & Manual are used the most. It's literally like having a DSLR in your hands. FWIW, I am also using YS-01 strobe (optically fired), & FIX UWL-04 WA lens/dome. These are all great "tools", and are very complimentary of each other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom