new C-5050 owner: desperate question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
I received my new C-5050 the other day, a reconditioned one purchased through the Olympus store on Ebay. I've worked my way through the manual but I cannot set the flash mode. I press the flash mode direct button and move the jog dial but the setting won't budge. Holding the flash mode button and pressing the menu OK button does nothing. I've tried doing this in the P, M, S, A and portrait modes, all with no result. Olympus technical support says return the camera. Is there some simple thing I'm neglecting? Should I just give up.

I don't have one and don't know enough about the 5050 to be of any help. I'd suggest you go to Digital Diver forum and ask there. There is a very large number of the members who use the 5050. In fact, you can learn more than you ever expected about that camera there!

Try this:

1. Put your camera in P mode.

2. Hold down the flash button on the left side of the camera - little lightning bolt thingy (as if you were looking at it from the back).

3. While holding down the button, move the jog dial on the right (same as the shutter control).

If you do this, you should see the flash "modes" on the LCD screen rotating. Whether or not some are available will depend on other settings and the available light (my best bet).

If you don't see the flash "modes" rotating, then the camera is messst up. :eek:ut:

reubencahn,

- can you turn the jog button and select something else eg. AF/Macro/MF? If so then there's nothing wrong with the jog dial.

- put your camera in P mode.

- Next make sure your drive mode is not engaged i.e. you're taking single frames only. TTL flash can't be set on if it's not in single frame mode (Slave flash can though) :

OK(menu) >> camera tab >> Drive >> single frame

- now try setting the flash mode

Let us know how you go...

Thanks for the help. Oddly enough, I tried all those things and nothing worked. The flash setting menu seemed frozen. Finally, it occurred to me that this is a small computer. So I turned it off and removed the batteries so there would be no power available. Then started over (rebooted). Now it works. I hope this was just a momentary glitch.

Glad you found the solution yourself - that's what I was going to ask you to do next. Good work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom