NEW BOAT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a similar thread;
Our C-Dory Tomcat is the perfect boat for the type of diving we do. Sometimes we go offshore to the backside of Catalina Island, about a 70 mile run. We also have seven other islands within 115 miles of our slip. Most of the time we dive reefs and wrecks that are within 20 miles of home. We also have wrecks and reefs less than a mile from the harbor.

We have a pilot house so we can get out of the weather. Wind, sun, hot, cold, rain, or just splashing saltwater takes its toll on you after a day on the water. If it's hot, we have two fans or we can open windows. If it's cold, we have a diesel stove/heater. The Tomcat has a queen size V-berth in case anyone needs to sleep on the way to or from a dive site. We also have a refrigerator, sink, marine head, and hot/cold freshwater shower. I added a longer hose so we can shower and rinse our gear out on the deck after diving. We don't go inside the pilot house with wet gear. We also have an air dryer and two dehumidifiers to keep the musty smell common to many boats away. We've owned the boat for ten years and it still smells fresh.

The boat is powered by twin Honda 150 HP outboards with hydraulic steering. We had a custom swing dive ladder installed to make climbing back aboard in full gear easier. I installed racks for up to eight single tanks or sets of doubles. A stainless Bruce type anchor and 400 feet of stainless chain holds the boat in any conditions we have been out in. The shiny anchor and chain are very visible underwater, making it easier to find our way back at the end of a dive. Chain markers let me know how much chain I have let out. I have different color markers at fifty feet intervals. Caribiners with bolt snaps are attached to the railings along either side of the boat so we can clip off our cameras rather than trying to carry them up the ladder. Our camera rigs are the size of many small cars. :( A thirty gallon rinse tank keeps our cameras, computers, and compasses salt-free.

Inside we have a VHF radio mounted as well as a handheld backup. A GPS/RADAR/Fishfinder multifunction display allows me to anchor within five feet of my coordinates every time. I have a drop camera so I can check the visibility and conditions on the reef before we gear up. It has saved us from a lot of aborted dives. I have a large dive flag on a long PVC pole that can be seen a couple of miles away.

The catamaran hull provides stability. There is nothing worse than having sore muscles after a day of holding onto rails on a monohull. It's great to be able to gear up on a 25 foot boat that isn't rocking.

It is fast enough to get us there and back, comfortable enough without having to treat it like a yacht, functional enough to get us on the dive sites accurately and safely, and it keeps Merry happy, which is the most important function.

canada_merry-jpg-586408-jpg.603123.jpg

roll_control_1-jpg-586409-jpg.603124.jpg

20200408_163834_hdr-jpg-586410-jpg.603125.jpg

ladder_dsc1273-jpg-586411-jpg.603126.jpg

underpressure_150927_xl-jpg-586412-jpg.603127.jpg

anchor-jpg-586413-jpg.603128.jpg

merrygiantstride-jpg-586414-jpg.603129.jpg

dsc0729-jpg-586415-jpg.603130.jpg

s-l1600-jpg-586416-jpg.603131.jpg

andy-np_dsc1436-jpg-586406-jpg.603132.jpg

picture_001_edited_7-jpg-586452-jpg.603133.jpg

jenny-lynn-wreck-jpg-586407-jpg.603134.jpg

picture_002-jpg-586453-jpg.603135.jpg

HTB1sei7Kv1TBuNjy0Fjq6yjyXXaL.jpg

s-l1600-png-586417-png.603136.png

From a similar thread;
Our C-Dory Tomcat is the perfect boat for the type of diving we do. Sometimes we go offshore to the backside of Catalina Island, about a 70 mile run. We also have seven other islands within 115 miles of our slip. Most of the time we dive reefs and wrecks that are within 20 miles of home. We also have wrecks and reefs less than a mile from the harbor.

We have a pilot house so we can get out of the weather. Wind, sun, hot, cold, rain, or just splashing saltwater takes its toll on you after a day on the water. If it's hot, we have two fans or we can open windows. If it's cold, we have a diesel stove/heater. The Tomcat has a queen size V-berth in case anyone needs to sleep on the way to or from a dive site. We also have a refrigerator, sink, marine head, and hot/cold freshwater shower. I added a longer hose so we can shower and rinse our gear out on the deck after diving. We don't go inside the pilot house with wet gear. We also have an air dryer and two dehumidifiers to keep the musty smell common to many boats away. We've owned the boat for ten years and it still smells fresh.

The boat is powered by twin Honda 150 HP outboards with hydraulic steering. We had a custom swing dive ladder installed to make climbing back aboard in full gear easier. I installed racks for up to eight single tanks or sets of doubles. A stainless Bruce type anchor and 400 feet of chain holds the boat in any conditions we have been out in. The shiny anchor is very visible underwater, making it easier to find our way back at the end of a dive. Chain markers let me know how much chain I have let out. I have different color markers at fifty feet intervals. Caribiners with bolt snaps are attached to the railings along either side of the boat so we can clip off our cameras rather than trying to carry them up the ladder. Our camera rigs are the size of many small cars. :( A thirty gallon rinse tank keeps our cameras, computers, and compasses salt-free.

Inside we have a VHF radio mounted as well as a handheld backup. A GPS/RADAR/Fishfinder multifunction display allows me to anchor within five feet of my coordinates every time. I have a drop camera so I can check the visibility and conditions on the reef before we gear up. It has saved us from a lot of aborted dives. I have a large dive flag on a long PVC pole that can be seen a couple of miles away.

The catamaran hull provides stability. There is nothing worse than having sore muscles after a day of holding onto rails on a monohull. It's great to be able to gear up on a 25 foot boat that isn't rocking.

It is fast enough to get us there and back, comfortable enough without having to treat it like a yacht, functional enough to get us on the dive sites accurately and safely, and it keeps Merry happy, which is the most important function.

View attachment 655389

View attachment 655390

View attachment 655391

View attachment 655392

View attachment 655393

View attachment 655394

View attachment 655395

View attachment 655396

View attachment 655397

View attachment 655398

View attachment 655399

View attachment 655400

View attachment 655401

View attachment 655402
those are some really nice shots! And its a cat... how are those honda's holding up? i dont see them down here often....

So far, so good. We've had the boat for eleven years. I've learned a lot about outboard repair in that time, but I've managed to keep them running. The rigging hoses did not have grommets installed at the factory, leading to salt water entering the motor covers. That caused rust and corrosion which led to a few issues but I installed grommets after fixing those problems. The factory also installed a short fill hose for the starboard gas tank. It came loose during filling, causing about forty gallons of gas to enter the bilge. It took a lot of cleaning to get rid of the gas smell.

You may not need or even want tank racks on a 19 ft boat. You could easily find that the best way to handle tanks is to lay them down on the deck (floor). If you go that route you may want a rubber non-slip mat to be under the tanks and some kind of rack to prevent tanks from rolling.

Also, you might NOT want a ladder. For some lakes and boats, it may be easier to just hop over the side and leave your tank clipped to a rope over the side. This assumes that all the divers are strong enough to do that, of course.

You probably want one or two waterproof boxes for cell phones, first aid kit etc.

You may find that having several 5-gallon buckets works well to keep gear organized and placing weight belts in a bucket is also kinder to the deck.

You will want to consider how the divers will get geared up. It will probably be beneficial to have sturdy seats/coolers to elevate the tanks, so that the diver can put them on before rolling over the side. You should also consider the presence of any railing which could complicated a back roll entry. Perhaps you dive only in calm lakes and you can put the tank on in the water - so rolling back entries are not much of an issue?

Another thing to consider with such a small boat and with very limited power, is the weight distribution. Tanks and divers and lead are heavy and they need to be distributed correctly for safety, speed and fuel economy. Another reason to delay installing permanent tank racks until you have experimented with weight distribution.

a hand operated bilge pump might be a smart purchase as well.

Reactions: Ana
+1 on a decent ladder, preferably one that's long enough so you can place your feet on easily before climbing aboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom