New boat Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O.K. I have a question I am slowly getting my 23' center console ready to do some diving for next year, i figure i need to do rescue and O2 certified before i venture off. However, the logistics of how the diving is going to occur is already in motion tanks racks, exit, entry etc. I have the entry under the belt, i feel that taking the gear in the water while its clipped by a snap and rope to a D-ring attached to a cleat. The tank rack is still an unknown at this time, still weighing my options, lastly is the entry i thought this would be a no brainer but its one that is bothering me the most. I have been diving with big outfits on the NE were entry is a giant stride. However, i dont think this will work in my case. My concern is not hitting my legs on the gunwale but the tank hitting the side of the boat. We are diving with steel 120's and im scared that we will not have enough clearence. I guess my question is have any of you dove with 120's did a back roll and had your tank but slam the side of the boat?

I have never had a tank or my legs hit the boat--neither has my wife--it is a non issue. If your hitting the boat with your legs something is not being done correctly. There are already discussions on this recently. I don't have twin 120 but I have used twin 80s and twin 100 aluminums in the past with no problems.

As to removing gear and clipping it on a down line--that can work---I have done it but I tell you know and tell you twice---it is better to get a sturdy ladder and climb in full geared up. I have no problem climibing this ladder in full gear including twin steel LP 72s.

In case you have not seen my ladder--I am sorry I don't have pics of other boats so you will have to forgive that it is of a Boston Whaler. Really big (big!) people in realy heavy gear may need something even more heavy duty.

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

I am not saying this is the best way or the best boat or any of that other crap and if this is of no use to you, skip over it. I don't have useful pics of Bayliners or anything else--just this one. This was a dead thread.

BTW, pulling your gear off in the water on a down line or tag line--don't want it hitting the boat huh, wait 'till you get a rough day and try to haul it in--wham--wham--wham.

N

You will not have a problem with a back flip, I do it all the time. If you have no ladder (best if you have one) just inflate on the surface as much as you can, take off weights first, fin/mask second and BC last. Tide or have someone hold the BC untill you get in the boat. If you have a light boat make sure there is another person or extra weight on the other side for balance.

Best of luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom