New BCD vs. used hand-me-down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Feesh

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a hand-me-down SeaQuest Pro QD jacket-style BCD that I've never used, but looks to be in good shape. It seems to hold air (on land at least), fits well, and there are no obvious signs of wear. Recently I was looking at back inflate BCDs and thinking about getting something like a Cressi Patrol.

What are your thoughts - would it be better to buy a brand-new BCD, or is the used SeaQuest a good option?

I suggest you use it, rent or try a BP/W, rent other jackets if desired. This will help you determine what is best for you, buy once and cry once, they last a very long time. You will get many suggestions here on SB to get a BP/W, I won't disagree as it works for many. However, only you can tell if it will work for you, so try it before buying it.

If you have access to a pool or body of water, try it. If you can try other BCs try them. I agree better to try things before you buy if possible. I have used jacket BCs for most of my 40+ years of diving. About 8 years move to the Scubapro Nighthawk back inflate. Took me time to adjust to it, but might go back to a jacket. Tried a plate and wing but just didn’t feel right to me, but that is me.

What gets you in the water soonest so you can make your own decision

This is likely to start a discussion similar to the GUE/DIR/PADI/SSI, which is better. A BPW is not for everyone or meets their dive requirements. I have friends that love their BPW setup. I have tried a number of their setups and they don’t work for me. Before I get told my training is an issue, I have over 40 years of dive both military and civilian and from Alaska to Diago Garcia, Red Sea to Australia.

no positive buoyancy so less weight for cold water

ballast in back (steel plate and weighted sta) promotes better trim for cold water

can mount doubles with correct wing

attachment points on harness for other gear like dpv/pony bottle/backup light

packs lighter with aluminum plate for travel

dries faster for travel

cheap to repair harness or resize

cheaper to repair/replace wing in future

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom