New BackScatter mini flash, TTL and RC with Olympus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you get it? How do you like it? I’m debating getting it or the MF-1… I’m just curious to see if there’s enough of a difference between them in terms of the actual photographs it will help take using a tg-6 to justify the price difference. Is RC flash capability really the huge upgrade that the product video for the mf-2 makes it out to be versus regular TTL for macro and super macro? Or will I not even really be able to tell the difference?

I have to confess, I bought one but it's lobster season and I've been hunting instead of taking photographs. I've only played with the new flash on land and it works as advertised. If you are shooting macro, it's the way to go, small, powerful and capable of snooting. My boat buddy Roger has two and likes them.

Hi Jim, just got back from Bali and 2 of the guys there were using them, one on a Oly Mk1 V3 and he got an amazing shot of a nudi looking like it was swimming free in the ocean. It was sitting on a small twig-type thing and with the snoot he could keep it out of the shot. He also got a shot of a white nosed anemone fish which I had never seen, had a google search and nothing also very difficult to shoot as it was buried in a bubble anemone.
The other guy was semi pro and he had a Nikon but on the second day up there he stayed on one site for 2 hours to get shot of a very rare 2mm long shrimp, he took over 100 shots to get it wth the backscatter unit.
Both guys reckoned it was the best thing they have bought and now rarely use the flashes.

Did you get it? How do you like it? I’m debating getting it or the MF-1… I’m just curious to see if there’s enough of a difference between them in terms of the actual photographs it will help take using a tg-6 to justify the price difference. Is RC flash capability really the huge upgrade that the product video for the mf-2 makes it out to be versus regular TTL for macro and super macro? Or will I not even really be able to tell the difference?
I bought my wife a tg6 and the MF 2 for a recent Lembeh trip. She has never taken underwater photos before, much less with a strobe. Only used a go pro and intermittently at that. Started off a little rocky but after a few days of shooting using RC (mainly her getting closer to the subject) the results and the improvement were dramatic. I’ve been shooting for several years and I’m jealous of a few of her shots LOL

Then I borrowed it and used the snoot for a couple dives and felt like a newbie all over

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom