New Aqua Lung i750tc Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very nice looking computer.

Price tag ain't bad either: VTX at that price includes a transmitter, if you look around.

Price tag ain't bad either: VTX at that price includes a transmitter, if you look around.

Price seems to be around 750 USD. that's about the same as the VTX.....

Yes, I'm quite sure the PZ+ algorithm will do fine, especially after reading this review

A sense of algorithm

PZ+ is fine, if that's what you want. But, I would put just about zero stock in that review. There is definitely something wrong with their test of the Oceanic computer running DSAT. My guess is that that computer was somehow set with an elevated Conservatism Factor, instead of the default of 0.

Here is another test of computers:

The Best Scuba Diving Computers Reviewed by ScubaLab

The results are here in PDF form:

http://ads.bonniercorp.com/scuba/PDF/ScubaLab-Computer-Test-September-2014-data.pdf

This test shows that the DSAT computer consistently gives longer bottom times than the PZ+ computer - and almost every other computer, for that matter.

Personally, I have over 100 dives on my Oceanic Atom, running DSAT, and it has always performed exactly in line with the ScubaLabs test results and never behaved like that Divernet review suggests. I have 24 dives with it that are over 30m (100'), with a deepest of 48m (160'). I have put it into deco a few times and it has always cleared the deco before my Shearwater Petrel 2 or SeaBear H3 has cleared.

Plus, the Divernet test is all about how these computers handle deco. If you're planning to do deco diving, I would DEFINITELY not buy the Aqualung or any other recreational computer. All of those will tell you in the User Manual that they are not intended for use in decompression diving.

That Divernet test may be useful for how the French teach and dive, but it's not very relevant at all to the way PADI, SDI, SSI, or most any other training that I know of in the U.S. anyway works. OTOH, the ScubaLabs test is directly correlated to recreational diving by PADI, etc., guidelines.

Like I said, PZ+ is fine. But, don't shun the DSAT computers just because of what that Divernet review said. It is effed!

I looked heavily into getting an Aeris A300 CS or Oceanic VTX at one point. The same computer as the i750t (I guess) except for having additional capability (the option for DSAT). I ruled out the A300 CS or VTX for a couple of reasons (based on user comments that I read). One, they had very short battery life. And, two, they were VERY hard to read in any kind of bright sunlight. As in, could even be hard to read during a safety stop, if you're in clear water on a bright, sunny day. I don't know if the AL version has any changes to address those issues, but I would certainly WANT to know about those things before buying one.

Finally, Deep6 is supposed to be releasing their computer very soon. It's supposed to be priced at $140, I think. And, someone (@LandonL) who I believe works for Deep6 has posted on here last week that they are updating the computer right now so that it will offer an option to use the Buhlmann ZHL-16C algorithm, with Gradient Factors, I think. That sounds like a good computer at a stellar price. And a much better option if you DO want to do dives with some small amount of decompression (as in that Divernet test).

Deep 6 Gear

The computer isn't on their website yet, as it's not released yet. But, you can find some info here on SB if you search around.

Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply.
I will look over the numbers in the PDF. The Divernet figures did look kind of weird.
I will not be diving decompression diving by the way.

However, I do want an air integrated computer preferrably - and I havent found a better alternative than the i750tc so far.
(I'm guessing the Deep6 computer is not air integrated for 140 bucks :) )

LOL No. The Deep6 is not AI.

The Oceanic Atom 3.0 or 3.1 can often be found with AI on sale for relatively inexpensive. Also, the Tusa Zen Air (IQ-950? maybe) was on sale recently at LeisurePro for something like $675 with the transmitter. And, I recently got a quote from LP for a Hollis TX1 with AI for $725.

For NDL diving, I definitely like having the extra time that is given by the DSAT algorithm and I personally would not buy a computer that only offered PZ+ or any other algorithm that is known to be more conservative.

I also really like having the AI on my Atom.

The display is not as pretty as something like the i750t. And I do have to push a button to turn on the backlight if I'm somewhere dark and want to read it. Or just shine my light on it. So, it may not be AS readable as a lot of other options, but it IS readable, and as long as I can read it, well, that's all that matters. For tech dives, it's not my main computer, but that is just a different subject. Different tools for different jobs. The best tool for one is often not the best tool for a different job.

I have been reading about the AL computers more the last few days and they appear to be an upgraded version of the original Oceanic/Pelagic computer AL sold under its name a year ago. They appear to be very appealing considering their features and price points. One must consider that AL stands behind these products and this commands some premium in their prices. They are still VERY price competitive compared to all other "mainstream" dive computer vendors for recreational diving. If I were shopping for a recreational computer from a "Brand Name" vendor, I would buy one of these new AL computers (probably the 750). You can't beat these new computers from AL with their very competitive prices.

In regards to the PZ+, it doesn't to be a restrictive algorithm especially when compared with the RGBM based computers (Cressi, Mares and Suunto). It may not be the most "liberal" but that is OK for me. I have been using Suunto computers for the last 20 or so years and I didn't have issues with their conservatism even in multi-day multi-dive per day trips. Again, if I were looking to buy a recreational dive computer with a brand name manufacturer, the AL new computers will be my first choice.

I meant the A300CS and its replacement the Oceanic VTX, does the VTX have any issues?

And, two, they were VERY hard to read in any kind of bright sunlight. As in, could even be hard to read during a safety stop, if you're in clear water on a bright, sunny day. I don't know if the AL version has any changes to address those issues, but I would certainly WANT to know about those things before buying one.

I have the Aeris version of this computer - which I love. HOWEVER, i totally agree that the screen is difficult to read in clear/bright water. It is frustrating to say the least. I mean, when you drop that kind of money you would expect it to work in the beautiful waters you want to dive in, right? My LDS said the new version is supposed to have addressed that. I love the AI, and have two transmitters for two separate tanks.

In terms of the VTX and its old problems, the only problem I've been aware of is water intrusion in one particular run:

The only computers affected by this alert are VTX WRIST UNITS with serial numbers between 565 and 3632. All other serial numbers are unaffected.

See their quality alert:

News - VTX Quality Alert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom