New and "Terrified"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good Morning to everyone keeping score and hedging their bets on me...LOL...

I went to the lake to begin my OW dives for certification on Saturday. But, before I went I practiced in the pool that morning taking my mask off and breathing underwater using all of your wonderful drills and techniques from the boards, thanks!! I ended up doing that skill in the pool on one breath about 8 times.

I was still unsure that I was ready at this point. At the lake, I was completely scared and nervous. I dove with just my instructor and DM. And that is all we did that day. Just dove. No skills (until we were about to get out at the dock, but even then it was things I had already been comfortable with like tired diver tow, cramp removal, snorkeling, removing BC and weight belt at surface, etc). We dove at 23 feet for 24 minutes. My DM said my eyes were as big as basketballs the whole time and I did not see a thing because all I was looking at was her and the instructor! It was nerve wracking at first going under (wanted to hold my breath when the water closed in over my head), but I never felt the urge to bolt to the surface like I had at the pool. I kept calm using some techniques I learned here on the boards (thanks DeeDee!), and just tried to relax. When I felt like I was about to panic, I just grabbed my instructor's line he was reeling for me and held the DM's hand. Haha.

After that first dive I still wasn't sure about the whole diving thing. On Sunday, I was even more nervous than Saturday because I knew I had to take my mask off underwater. There was another girl diving with us that was finishing up her cert, another diver and a couple of the instructor's other students. It was kind of nice going down with a group. After getting in the water for dives 2 and 3 the nervousness kind of melted away. We went down to the platform and practiced some skills. Water got in my mask and I didn't freak out. When it came time to remove my mask, I was eerily calm. I just did it. I kept my eyes closed the whole time I was doing it and then did the "super clear"...I just kept blowing out my mask until I was out of air on that breath. After I did that, my eyes were still closed, then I heard it. A roar of underwater cheer broke out. I opened my eyes, and my mask was clear! I had done it! It was the most exhilirating feeling. And after I did it, I couldn't even remember what I had been so scared about.

By the end of dive 4, I was sad it was over and did not want to surface. I wanted to stay down in my new found comfort zone.

Needless to say, I am hooked. At the beginning of the weekend, my DM had suggested an AOW course to gain more experience. I laughed at her. Now, I feel I could take on anything. My anxiety has been replaced by excitement and elation. I am so proud of myself for overcoming my fears and freak outs, and thankful to all those on the Scuba Board for the tips and encouragement. Most of all, I am completely thankful for my instructor and DM (Haywood and Nanette from Sport Divers of Houston, YAYYY!) for not giving up on me and pulling me through it. Without them I would have quit the first weekend.

I am now a PADI Open Water Certified Diver!! Who would have known?!?! :) Now I can dive in Costa Rica with confidence and comfort!! :)

Now I am wondering, with all the personalized attention I received from my instructor and DM (I basically got private Scuba lessons for 90% of my certification) is it customary to do something nice for your instructor/dm? I would like to show them my appreciation... I know when you go on trips it's customary to tip your DM but I wasn't sure on the protocol for certifications...

Congratulations on your certification!!!!

We knew you could do it, we're so proud of you!!!!!!!!!

You'll love Costa Rica diving. I was there earlier this month and had some many wonderful dives. The bull sharks and the night dives were my absolute favorites. Enjoy!

AggieManda:
Now I am wondering, with all the personalized attention I received from my instructor and DM (I basically got private Scuba lessons for 90% of my certification) is it customary to do something nice for your instructor/dm?

It's not typical nor expected, but if you feel your instructor earned it, be generous.

Congratulations! Don't stop practicing. Get very comfortable with no mask breathing and mask clearing. Two of my buddies had trouble with their masks Saturday, but they were comfortable with their skills and dealt with the problems very effectively. Mask issues are common, when you have one, it should be a minor annoyance, not a major issue. Congratulations again!

I've been following your posts and just wanted to send a quick "Congrats!" on your accomplishment. Your hard work, practice and persistence has paid off. Enjoy your trip!

:snorkel:

Oh, this is WONDERFUL to hear! What a great resource we have here in Scubaboard, for information and also for just plain old moral support.

BTW, I did my AOW immediately after my OW class as they're recommending, just to get some more dives in with an instructor. I didn't get a great deal out of it, in terms of new learning. If you can find an experienced diver (or pay a DM) to accompany you for a few dives as you consolidate your skills, you'll be able to get a great deal more out of any future classes you might decide to take -- at least that's my opinion from my experience.

Thank you for the advice... I think I will forgo the AOW class for now. It requires a weekend overnight stay away from home, and I don't want to throw that at my 11 month old son then leave him a week or so later for 7 whole days again (for Costa Rica).

I am just going to do a day trip back to the lake to dive weekend after next and do AOW in the fall.

Thanks!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom