New and "Terrified"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...with my "plight"... :D

There has been a change of plans...I AM diving this weekend, tomorrow to be exact. My dive master called and said that she and the instructor would like me to come to the lake after the other students have checked out so that I can dive with just the two of them alone.

This makes me really nervous, because I had decided I wasn't ready, but also really excited. I am excited to move forward with my training, and diving alone with them takes a huge amount of pressure off of me. They are wonderful, so I know they will go as slow as I ask and will work with me.

I have a feeling if tomorrow goes well they will let me dive with the rest of the class on Sunday. There is also another OW class taking place in a couple of weeks, and I will probably ask if I can dive with that class as well (assuming I get through this weekend ok :rofl3:) ....

Any thoughts or tips? I am just going to relax and trust in my instructors. Hopefully I will be reporting good news tomorrow evening!!

Thanks for all the support :crafty:

*Manda*

Did you do some more pool work? If not, I strongly suggest that you practice breathing without a mask in your sink some. You want to be relaxed and confident this weekend, not waiting for the other shoe to drop!

I did last night some more and will do more tonight... I will also get there a little early tomorrow to acclimate to the water and surroundings... I am actually really excited now. Hopefully this is the motivation I need to overcome this hurdle :)

AggieManda:
There has been a change of plans...I AM diving this weekend, tomorrow to be exact. My dive master called and said that she and the instructor would like me to come to the lake after the other students have checked out so that I can dive with just the two of them alone.

This makes me really nervous, because I had decided I wasn't ready, but also really excited.

If you feel you aren't ready, don't let them pressure you into going. Unless you've been able to practice and get over your hurdle, you aren't ready.

Remember, any diver can cancel or abort a dive at any time for any reason or for no reason at all. Go make your dives only if you believe you are ready.

Ok... If I do not feel comfortable tomorrow, I will not move forward. There is another class at a later date and I can go into that one. Since they are willing to do one on one work with me, I thought I should give it a try. Slow and steady though....

Ok... If I do not feel comfortable tomorrow, I will not move forward. There is another class at a later date and I can go into that one. Since they are willing to do one on one work with me, I thought I should give it a try. Slow and steady though....

Cool! Take your time. I think our current shop record is 2 1/2 years of classes and pool sessions before OW, so you have about 142 weeks left before you come close.

There's no reason for you to rush. Rushing into OW is good for the shop (it makes space for another student) however rushing is absolutely no benefit to you.

Your OW dives should be scheduled when you and your instructor agree that you're ready.

Terry

Manda

Your DM and the Instructor want to get you in the water just to dive ... sometimes thats the best thing to do. No skills no nothing, just dive with them. This is a way to make you feel comfortable being underwater. Your not worried about your performance ... and you'll feel really good really fast just diving looking at things. After you get out you'll be so refreshed and calm very awesome. Then you're ready to tear it up!

I have to give a high five to your Instructor and DM. That's the way it should be, you have a good and caring Instructor thats people driven not money driven.

I was thaught that by what I consider to be one of the best divers in the world. Besides owning the LDS I trained for, he spent his teen years as a DM for a shop in Cayman for years then becoming a DM and Instructor for Oceanic Diver's in Key Largo. Then becoming a PADI Regional manager now employed by Oceanic the last I heard.

Back
Top Bottom