New and looking for a light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadly_risk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Are you new and looking to buy a dive light? I have a piece of advice that did not seem to come up as much in lighting. Try everything. Rent, borrow, or whatever and try everything you can in as much representative water as you can.

I recently got a chance to dive with the Texas Swamp Divers group at Lake Travis. Travis is my default water, and where I have dove the most so it represents a sizeable chunk of conditions my dive lights will be used in. Not owning any lights myself at the time everyone was more than willing to let my borrow their backup lights for each dive. This allowed me to see in the same water conditions both the backup light, and the primary light of my insta-buddy, for each dive and each buddy. In one weekend I got to see and try LED, Xenon, and HID of various sizes and types, and got to talk to their owners about why they chose their particular lights.

Combine this with some of the great advise on this board, the internet and from local mentors and I believe you will be much better equipped to make wise dive light choices.

Note: I am a new diver myself, so take my words with a grain of salt.

I agree. LED has made incandescent dive lights obsolete.

Hence the purpose of this thread: to encourage people to try their own.

In the conditions I was in the smaller xenon lights were much better at cutting through the green haze so you could read your gauges than similarly sized LEDs. But as things cleared up below the thermo you were much better served by a brighter LED or large HID.

Back
Top Bottom