New 500 LED cannister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the little sleeve Chriso has that can attach the greenforce can onto the zeagle backplate... nice
I don't think i'll go with the Salvo (unless it's the 10w handheld, that looks interesting) as LED gives a much nicer light... more natural i think
Plus i heard the salvo has a bit of a middle dark spot when you widen the focus.

Damn decisions

I like the little sleeve Chriso has that can attach the greenforce can onto the zeagle backplate... nice
I don't think i'll go with the Salvo (unless it's the 10w handheld, that looks interesting) as LED gives a much nicer light... more natural i think
Plus i heard the salvo has a bit of a middle dark spot when you widen the focus.

Damn decisions

im in talks with Chrisso to see if the DR cannister will fit into one of the GF sleeves and attach to my backplate so will let you know how this goes

*sigh* what did we ever do before DiveTub!!!

got raped by LDS's?
Be interesting to hear how you go with that... I would've thought the can would be a bit big, but let's see!

got raped by LDS's?
Be interesting to hear how you go with that... I would've thought the can would be a bit big, but let's see!

raped :huh: ummmmmm :wink:

just that Cape Byron use to have Zeagle (when chrisso worked for them) and then they dropped zeagle and we were left without zeagle support until Chrisso picked up the distribution... its been GREAT since Chrisso set up divetub - even with him being on the other side of the country he is just a phone call away

.....Be interesting to hear how you go with that... I would've thought the can would be a bit big, but let's see!
yeah, thats what i was thinking so wont know till we try and will let you know

i would have thought DR sell the sleeves also but havent found them yet

Can't agree more about divetub and Chriso
He's set me up with a lot of gear, always given me a good price and most importantly he put up with my dickheaded questions on numerous occasions with patience
Consequently i'm a walking Zeagle advertisment :)
If i hadn't have got onto Chriso i wouldn't have been as happy in my diving as i am now

definately let me know about the sleeve... if you ever get a chance to take a photo of the light output against a wall, that'd be awesome

Have a good weekend almitys!

......... if you ever get a chance to take a photo of the light output against a wall, that'd be awesome

Have a good weekend almitys!
i think this can be arranged.. hubby out diving right now so will get him onto it this weekend

you have a good one yourself!

Not only that but by using this "extension cord" you have increased potential leaks from one or two points, glass and twist section, to five points for potential leaks which is still more than if you were using a proper canister battery set up.

I'm very interested in hearing more about this. I can't agree with the potential leaks comment. Anytime one cuts into the housing, or an oring is involved, it's a potential leak. So most HID can lights have bulb-front oring, cord into head, cord into canister, switch, and caniste rbattery orings. That's five openings in what you are referencing as a *proper* canister.

What did you have to do to get the battery holder padded, and was this necessary for just the cord accessory, or in general? I'm likely going to buy the 500lum version, but I don't know if I want the cord or not. I do agree that $160 for the cord is a lot, especially since it's a $115 difference if one buys the kit. Is it a $45 risk for the retailer to carry this as a separate item? :blinking: It's not like anyone that buys the cord separately does not already have the light!

The Ausse version looks cool, but it lacks one thing I want in a LED light, and that is the ability to use it as just a general topside light. IOW's, I don't want to run around with a can light topside. It's also priced at over double the cost, and the battery pack appears to die at 5 hours. For those that are not aware, rechargeable LITHION's have one quality that is a bit troublesome. They go at 100%, and then die. I'm not positive that is what Almighty is describing after 4 or 5 hours of burn, but it sounds like it.

I personally like the idea of 8-AA's in an LED light. I have plenty of AA NIMH batteries, they are cheap, and they are easy to find if some TSA dork pulls your batteries for some reason.

I'm very interested in hearing more about this. I can't agree with the potential leaks comment. Anytime one cuts into the housing, or an oring is involved, it's a potential leak. So most HID can lights have bulb-front oring, cord into head, cord into canister, switch, and caniste rbattery orings. That's five openings in what you are referencing as a *proper* canister.

What did you have to do to get the battery holder padded, and was this necessary for just the cord accessory, or in general? I'm likely going to buy the 500lum version, but I don't know if I want the cord or not. I do agree that $160 for the cord is a lot, especially since it's a $115 difference if one buys the kit. Is it a $45 risk for the retailer to carry this as a separate item? :blinking: It's not like anyone that buys the cord separately does not already have the light!

The Ausse version looks cool, but it lacks one thing I want in a LED light, and that is the ability to use it as just a general topside light. IOW's, I don't want to run around with a can light topside. It's also priced at over double the cost, and the battery pack appears to die at 5 hours. For those that are not aware, rechargeable LITHION's have one quality that is a bit troublesome. They go at 100%, and then die. I'm not positive that is what Almighty is describing after 4 or 5 hours of burn, but it sounds like it.

I personally like the idea of 8-AA's in an LED light. I have plenty of AA NIMH batteries, they are cheap, and they are easy to find if some TSA dork pulls your batteries for some reason.

Hi there,

Point taken re the leaks although its more than if just used as a hand held unit.

Padding was only required using the corded section although I imagine if used enough you would need to do the same with the handheld also. It was no biggy I just cut a circuar piece of dense foam perhaps 3mm thick and dropped it into the battery canister part of the unit and it solved the twitchy on off problem.

Ive just ordered the elsatic handmount to use with the corded unit, wanted the Goodman but at $72 for me it was a bit too much on top of the cost of the light and the corded unit.

Its plenty bright and over all I happy with it.

Oh and Ive used it topside with no obvious over heating.

Good Luck.

PS you may also need to file down the four prongs on the head unit when using with the corded as they scrape on the screws in the corded section when you twist the light on and off. I filed them down about 2mm and it fixed the problem.:wink:

You can PM me if you have any other questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom