Never say Never... my first dive in Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HBDiveGirl:
Surf. While I'll eventually be diving doubles mostly off boats, (I think,) I do need to get used to beach entries/exits while learning.
Bigger surface area of the tanks and wing means I get pushed more by the waves unless I make sure I'm turned to the side.
More mass means I can punch through waves more effectively.
Ken showed me that inflating the bigger, longer wing can help you get lifted out of the Deep Trench of Agony and smoothly up onto the beach. Nice!
As long as the surf is small, I can do this. Gym workouts are essential. The dub-72s are heavy on land... wow! And I'm looking at bigger tanks eventually.[/LIST]I have stepped out of the single tank simulator. Cool! I didn't think I could be more grateful for Ken's excellent dive and team skills than I've been this past year... but OMG, I am now! Doubles are different. More to figure out and solve. More new safety skills.

One trick that I figured out is that you can use the mass of the tanks in your favor. While in waist to chest deep water you can deflate the wing a bit and stick yourself to the ground. The extra mass keeps you from moving around in the waves as much and eases donning and doffing fins.

Fun reading! :d

For me, the doubles lead right to trimix, and (according to NWGratefuldiver, I think), HE is the crack cocaine of diving. First someone gives you a free taste. Then before long you're hocking your watch to get more.

Like I said, DIR-F is a gateway drug . . . :)

I recently did several dives in a local quarry using a friend's set of doubles--LP95s. They were great! Trimmed out perfectly and I loved them more than my singles rig. I'm going to see if I can get another friend to let me try out his 130s to see how those trim out as well...
So far the only thing that doubles is going to lead me to is a big hole in my wallet. Although I'm sure in the future, trimix will be on its way. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom