Never risk being lost at sea - Emergency Locator Beacon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkaterenchuk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
If you dive in the ocean even in locations like Cozumel and Key Largo you always run a risk of being swept away in a current and being left behind to your own devices to survive. You might say it will never happen to you. But it can and it does. We all read about divers left behind or see report on the TV. Some are never found. Carrying other rescue equipment like a signal mirror or alert horn is a good first measure but there might not be any boats in the area to hear your signal or worst yet they will be under power and you will not be heard over there engine noise. Also you might not know that many rescue operation only search during the day. Do you and your buddy really want to spend the night in the open ocean alone at night?

You need to carry a PLB - Personal Locator Beacon on gear whenever you are diving in the ocean. Then with the push of a button you can notify emergency rescue authorities that you need help and provide them with your GPS location coordinates. Since this devise uses a global satelite system the "I need rescue" signal works globally.

I have a PLB that is excess to my needs which I am selling. It is a McMurdo Fastfind Plus 406 and operates on the latest global network to ensure your rescue signal gets out. Some other PLB's only operate on the older 121 Mhz network which may not be monitored continuously. It also contains a GPS system which transmits your location so that the rescue authorities know exactly where to go to find you.

It comes with the McMurdo dive cannister which is a heavy duty cannister rated to over 500ft of depth.

Here is an information document to show you what the PLB looks like and also you can see the dive cannister pictured at the bottom.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/landfallnav/McMurdoFastfindPlus.pdf

Everything is in like new condition and I recently tested it.

PLB and Cannister for $375 including shipping and Paypal fees.

how old is the unit? Have you traveled with it? How hard is it to carry, travel customs/security & dive with?

I bought it used so I am not sure how old it is but I think about 3-4 years. It looks brand new and operates.

Yes I have travelled with it in Asia and back to the USA. No questions asked from customs. You can see the size specs from the link in the first post. It can be worn on a 2 inch web belt or clamp to a scuba tank as it has slots in the canister to feed a piece of 2 inch webbing.

John

Has it ever been used, tested & what's the expiration date on the battery? Replacement battery (5 year shelf life) is $140.00. sounds like it may need one?

If you mean has it been triggered for a real emergency as "used" then the answer is NO. It has been tested. It has testing button on it to confirm its operation without sending a false distress signal. Yes it is recommended the batteries be replaced every 5 years. At least this model allows for the batteries to be replaced. Many of the cheaper models do not allow for battery replacement. Even if the battery needs to be replaced the cost is still well below buying a new one off a discount Internet retailer.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom