Netherland Antilles or Netherlands Antilles, which is correct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sasscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
After many trips to the ABC islands I still here both, which is correct or are they both correct? I have a small project going and need the answer ASAP. Thanks.

Netherland Antilles or Netherlands Antilles, which is correct?

Scott,

Actually.......

Aruba is considered it's "own entity" now, with their own currency, laws, etc. Their only reliance on Holland is that of the judical department (I'm not going there...). As I understand, this is required for military protection in case of "invasion attempts".

Today ABC islands are used for "geographical terms". If I tell people I live on Bonaire, they say "Bon-where? (LOL)...Then I say "ABC islands, and they say oh, by Aruba!.

The Netherland Antilles (since the succession of Aruba), are made up by Bonaire, Curacao, Saba and St. Eustatius and the Dutch side of St. Maarten.

This is in the process of changing. The Netherland Antilles will no longer be in the near future. The target date for separation of the island is 15 Dec 2008, but due to large infastructure problems, it looks like it may be longer. From a recent article, they are looking at the possibility of as late as Dec 2010, but who knows? We just wait and see.

The "new" formation will look something like this:

Bonaire will have "direct ties" to Holland and be know as a "public corporation" of Holland. This will be the same for Saba and St. Eustatius. We will be known as the "BES" Island.

Curacao will be "status aparte" which means it will just be like Aruba, this is also the way that the Dutch side of St. Maarten will be.

Most people question then, if the BES islands are going directly to Holland, will they belong to the EU, therefore going to the Euro?

The answer is this. We do not know, but it is right now looking like we will stay with the $. The preliminary report came out a couple of weeks ago that suggests to the government and officials that it is recommended to stay on the $, but this is preliminary.

We will be a "public corporation" within Holland, but with "exceptions" because we are a Caribbean Island. This will allow us to choose whether or not we want to go with the EU, or not. It is an extremely difficult decision for the island and government at this time. There are true financial benefits (infastructural related) for Bonaire to join the EU, but if they go with the Euro, it will "tank" the tourism industry here on Bonaire. I have heard that they are looking into ways to join the EU without going to the Euro, that some exceptions may be available.

It is all still in the works. It's very confusing to all of us now. I suggest to get a subscription to Bonaire Reporter Welcome Page and read up. If there are any updates or changes, they provide them in the newspaper often.

Hope this helps.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom