Nervous about upgrade: Subal w 7D -> Nautica w/ EOS6 (long!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings all...

I'm looking to upgrade, but I really don't want to get in over my head.

So this is what I have now:
• 7D, Mark I (yes, the 2009 camera)
* Subal housing (bought used)
• YS-D2J strobes (2)
• sync cables

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT:

• You could drive over that Subal housing. That thing is *solid*
• I like sync cables.
• The extra reach of that crop frame
• I'm used to it and have been using the 7D since 2009, and all my cameras are Canon crop frame.
• I can use that APS-C 60mm macro lens that I just love.

WHAT I DON'T LOVE ABOUT IT:
• TTL is not possible.
• It takes *forever* to get replacement parts for the Subal because they're in Austria
• Just horrible in low-light (not a huge problem underwater)
• the video is absolutely worthless.
• the likelihood of being able to sell a used CD7 Mark 1 Subal is... slim.

So, my upgrade... I'm thinking of the EOS6 with a Nauticam housing

MY WORRIES:
• the housing is not out yet. The EOS5 is, but not the EOS6. They say this fall.
• going from crop to full-frame
• though the bodies are similar, my muscle memory is going to have to relearn
• going to have to get an adapter for my lenses, is that going to pose a problem with ports?
• Nauticam is a whole new system for me...
• I hate f/o cords.

THE GREAT PARTS, THOUGH...
• TTL!!!!
• back button focus ability!
• if I hit the lottery, I can use wet lenses!
• Can use those swap-lens Wide & Macro on the same dive
• FINALLY I can use video which is what my background is.
• easier to get parts, repairs, and accessories

Experience-wise, I've shot more wildlife than marine life, but I'm getting better. I've had fun shooting macro (once I realized that I needed prescription glasses, my macro got a lot better) but wide-angle is still a challenge (why won't those damn sharks stay still?)

Honestly, my biggest concern is, is this too much camera for me? The crop frame to full-frame especially. But I've wanted a full-frame for wildlife shooting for a long time anyway.

OR...

Should I go for the Aquatica housing? Looks a little more Subal-esque. Again, the rig for the EOS6 is not ready yet... hell, the rig for the EOS5 isn't even ready yet.

Having used both Subal and Aquatica housings -- though admittedly unfamiliar with Nuaticam -- I would lean towards Aquatica, for the relative ease in getting replacement parts and support from Montreal; and their handling similarities to many Subal models . . .

Having used both Subal and Aquatica housings -- though admittedly unfamiliar with Nuaticam -- I would lean towards Aquatica, for the relative ease in getting replacement parts and support from Montreal; and their handling similarities to many Subal models . . .
Good to know! Thanks!

Which camera? I thought the Nauticam R6 housing was already out. I have used Nauticam for years now and I think they are as durable as my old Subals. Parts for Nauticam are available everywhere so that should not be a worry. Going from cropped to FF is indeed an interesting issue, are your lenses up to the task.
Bill

Which camera? I thought the Nauticam R6 housing was already out. I have used Nauticam for years now and I think they are as durable as my old Subals. Parts for Nauticam are available everywhere so that should not be a worry. Going from cropped to FF is indeed an interesting issue, are your lenses up to the task.
Bill

Really? I'll look for it -- the only thing I've seen is the one for the R5! Thanks for the heads up though.

I've always been more concerned with getting good lenses than I have with getting good cameras (which is why I still have a 7D Mark 1). I'll miss that APS-C 60mm macro though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom