Neoprene sock recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickthompson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to be doing some diving in the Caribbean this summer and am hoping to leave the wetsuit in the suitcase during the trip. I have open heel fins however, so I'm looking at getting some neoprene socks to use as an alternative to my big heavy booties. I would prefere the ankle cut style. Does anyone have any experience with these and can recommend a specific brand? Also, my LDS doesn't carry them so what would you consider to be the most reputable online dealer? Thanks!

Scubatoys.com, i just ordered them

Make sure whatever you get isn't "too small" for your fins. Depending on what you typically use, if it has a heavy sole you could get a light boot or sock and your fins are too loose. I would avoid the "socks" and get a 3mm boot. With a boot you will have some sole and grip when climbing ladders and walking on the dive boat.

If your current boots have heavy (sneaker like) soles, I recommend the SeaSoft Sunray boot. I used them extensively in Bonaire where you need the thick sole for the shore entry. They fit my fins, but other folks on that trip bought them and got a new pair of fins to fit.

i'd take a couple of options. low booties don't take up enough room to leave out based on space, and my heels get *really* chewed up and painful with lots of dives in a short period. i usually use trouser socks, neoprene socks, and high booties and still need duct tape by day 3.

so don't take *just* the socks and take the chance of having to sit out 'cause your feet hurt.

Thank you all for the recommendations! I think I'll also pick up a lightweight pair of booties as well just in case...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom