Neoprene Drysuits FL & MI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eandiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Searching for some information on neoprene vs shell dry suits.

Being from Florida and never having used a dry suit (and never really needed to) I'm now looking into one. A friend has moved up to the UP and wants me to come up and do some diving in Superior. I'm all for that but looking at the summer water temps up there I figure my Bare 7mm is not quite enough. It's fine for winter water down here (mid 50's and up). I can't get much information from other divers or LDS's down here (nobody has one) and of course the manufacturers will push their own.

So for cold Florida winter water and warm Michigan summer water, which are about the same, whats a good neoprene suit? Obviously a custom fit is best with minimal under garments but off the rack is fine too.

I can read the mfg's web sites all day long but can't get the information that people who have used the suits can provide.

eandiver:
Searching for some information on neoprene vs shell dry suits and found this thread.

Being from Florida and never having used a dry suit (and never really needed to) I'm now looking into one. A friend has moved up to the UP and wants me to come up and do some diving in Superior. I'm all for that but looking at the summer water temps up there I figure my Bare 7mm is not quite enough. It's fine for winter water down here (mid 50's and up).

I dove there last month. Water temperature at 93 feet was 45 degrees. Everyone, but 3 of us where wearing wet suits, approximately 24 total diving. If you add a core warmer to your wet suit you should be ok for summer time diving.

eandiver:
Searching for some information on neoprene vs shell dry suits.
Hi.
I love my Bare Neoprene but I would think it may be too much for winter dives in Florida still,
This is were the shell suit works,all you need is light undergarment.
Neoprene is great for cold water,Undergarmets off the rack Poly stuff from Wall mart
is cheap than shell suit stuff,You may be able to rent a dry suit with a card of dry suit proven use to the local LDS.
Hey have fun,we have some great wrecks up on the great Lakes!
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom