Neoprene drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveandclimb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I feel like I am always seeing really good deals on neoprene drysuits but have heard some bad things about them. As a current wetsuit diver what should I be thinking about in regards to neoprene drysuits. Also, if I decide to go with a shell type drysuit do I have to buy the undergarments or can I just use fleese stuff I have from skiing and hiking?

Neoprene drysuits are good suits. I currently dive with an Atlan 7mm drysuit. I am and have for some time now, been thinking about getting a Viking Extreme suit.
Neoprene suits can be some cheaper, but do research what you are getting and compare apples to apples. Undergarments may still be needed with the neoprene suit, depending on depth and temperature of the water. With shell suits, you will want undergarments that can wick moisture away from your skin, therefore you will not want cotton. If you plan on using your suits that you use for skiing, then take it with you when you try on the suit to make sure everything fits properly.

Diving dry will also mean that you will need more weight than you use with your wetsuit. Be sure that you have plenty of weight on hand when you do your buoyancy check. Weight needed will also depend on how much of an undergarment you decide to use.

Good luck on your future purchase and enjoy your dives being warm:D

I also have an Atlan Drysuit ans so far it has kept me perfectly dry and warmer than most laminate divers with a minimal undergarment expense on my part. My diving is mainly relatively shallow shore diving so the compression of depth has not made the suit terribly volatile although it's still a good pile of rubber to manage. Due to the larger cut I find it somewhat more buoyant than a 7mm full suit with a 7mm hooded step-in vest. I wear from 6 to 18 pounds additional depending on what is worn underneath.

It does make for a heavy suit getting in and out of the water but it does pucker up nicely and swims well. I have neoprene seals which are nice and warm. They have worked out well for my diving but some report that on deep fives the typical behavior of neoprene can alter the fit and cause leaks.

I would go with neoprene sock feet to wear rock boots or high top sneakers with in if I did it again. That alone can reduce some of the trudging when walking in the suit.

Being neoprene you are counting on closed cell foam rubber as the water barrier and over time it can become permeable and subject to leaks. This is probably the hardest thing to identify on a used suit as the entry point and the internal leak may be somewhat removed from each other.

If I were in a climate where the water bottomed out in the high 40's such that I only needed a wicking layer and maybe a vest on my chest I'd be fairly content with it. As you add an insulating layer in the suit it becomes a beast to sink.

In summary it has been a good entry level drysuit. IF when I bought it I knew I would enjoy cold season diving and had the extra cash I would have gone laminate in hindsight. If the price is right It can still be a good suit. you be replacing it for somewhere between 1/2 - 1/3 of the cost of a laminate suit so you can lower your expectations.

When I was shopping this post was influential.

Pete

I'm in my third year with an O'Neill 7000X 7mm neoprene dry suit, having moved up from 1 piece wetsuits +/- overcoats, and I love it for NorCal diving. I alternate between lycra/nylon only and thinly backed polypro (TUSA I think) depending on water temp (high 40s to mid-50s). For diving at the upper range the undergarment is just to keep the cool rubber off your skin. I have a heavier (not heavy by drysuit standards) insulated undergarment, but it's unnecessary underwater so far, and makes pre-dive body temp more difficult to manage - something new with drysuit diving to me, you have to be mindful of temp regulation when out of the water. I've worn a variety of synthetic stuff underneath and any of it is fine, if it fits close enough. This thing has really changed my enthusiasm for cold water diving - I'm toasty from head to toe for the 90 minutes of my longest dives. It's not snug like a wetsuit to start with, but conforms to fit well w/o squeeze and while it's bulkier than a wetsuit, it works well enough for structure spearfishing, where I'm moving quickly, upside down a lot, and reaching into holes. I went neoprene for the $400 price and the thought it would hold up to abrasion and puncture - which it has - better than other suits and would be easier to fix. Other posts suggest that may not have been true. The stiff neoprene reminds me of what was used in suits many years ago, not the ephemeral (but comfy) stuff you find now. I use the Apollo BioSeal - a big soft rubber band - under the neoprene neck seal and it has improved already good sealing to almost perfect. It's $50 but you could make one with a wide strip of thin neoprene and glue. I assume you're a dude - the women's version of this suit, which a friend dives, has wrist seals that don't turn under and she has regular leaks which aren't often a problem for me. Apollo makes wrist BioSeals too which I assume would solve any problem there. The older version of this suit I tried had built-in hard boots, which made for too much dead space in the calf and boot and I really had control problems when head-down - the boot would float off my foot. The current suit has soft feet - you supply overboots - and I rarely have problems with air moving around in the suit when I invert. That's something I've wanted to ask fabric-suit divers - with the extra undergarment thickness, is air movement more pronounced when you change attitude? With soft feet, the suit inverts completely and dries as fast as a nylon II wetsuit.

I can't say whether I'd like a fabric suit better, but other than bulk and extra lead this is much better than wetsuit diving. One issue - you can't pee. When I dive 5 or more times a day in a wetsuit I sometimes get where I need to pee every dive, sometimes more than once. Don't know what causes that. So far I haven't done that many successive dives in the dry suit, I wonder if the lesser skin exposure to the saltwater would change whatever odd physiology is going on.

I have 2 O'Neil 7mm neo's that I cave dive with to 100' regular and up to 150' with no trouble. It is perfect for me when sidemounting as it gives lift to my legs which are large and muscular. I sink with a shell suit. That, with an easy to install Pee valve, is a great suit. Also, less squeeze than a shell suit too. Both are good, but personally, I prefer my neoprene drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom