Neoprene and bromine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My son-in-law is taking his basic OW under YMCA in the pool at Notre Dame where he is doing a masters. He's pretty thin and get's cold easily, so he's been using the wetsuit we gave him for Christmas (a Bare 2-3mm) during his lessons. The pool uses a bromine rather than a chlorine system for their pool.

What can he do to prevent bromine damage to his suit besides rinsing it out each time? Is there some type of product that helps?

ET

Bromine, and chlorine both attack neoprene.

Rinse it thoroughly with mild detergent (liguid soap)
and rinse with fresh water.

Mike D

The pool that my dive club uses is a bromine pool. Our rental BC's don't get rinsed and start to fade (colorwise) pretty quickly. I have always rinsed my personal gear (BC, booties, gloves) in plain freshwater after the pool, and no fading on those after >15 pool dives. I've never had to use a wetsuit in the pool though, so I don't know about protecting those.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom