Nemo Wide - "Fast Ascent" on *every* dive - too sensitive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darren_uk

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I summary: My question is "Is the Fast Ascent rate a bit too sensitive making it quite a useless indicator?"

The detail follows:

I've seen the thread from 2007 where someone complained that they've had their Nemo complain about Fast Ascent on every dive.

Me too: Mine's logged 143 dives and apart from some very shallow things for example:
max depth 2.5m : 10m/min max ascent rate
max depth 3.8m : 9m/min max ascent rate
every dive shows a "Slow" meaning I've gone up too fast (equal or more than 12m/min)

The fact is: When ascending I'm watching it like a hawk and keeping it <9m/min consistently.

So it's totally demoralising when looking at my dive profile during the surface interval over a coffee and I see "Fast Ascent" every single time.

It appears that it complains when I raise my arm to take a look at it - I used to wear it on my left wrist but it alarmed when I raised my left arm to dump air from the dry suit; Now I wear it on the right wrist but still I reckon it alerts if I do a "normal" thing during a dive (e.g. go vertical to look at something on a wall; or go over a rock that's 1m up, or raise my wrist to look at the dive computer)

I used to be quite a paranoid "Is it me?" to the extent that I'd enter the dive log into a spreadsheet (20 second increments on the Nemo Wide) and work out my ascent rate, and be satisfied that it was around <5m/min over consecutive 20 second intervals (take the difference between two depths 20 seconds apart, and multiply that by 3 to get m/min)

My question is: isn't this a bit too sensitive? Shouldn't it have some tolerance? It would appear that it's *impossible* to get it to not alert under a "normal dive", which seems to make the Fast Ascent indicator completely redundant (except for allowing insurance companies to refuse to pay out?)

I had a Nemo sport which was I felt was overly sensitive to any movement. If I raised my left arm to check my dive status, It would beep & the icon would display. It was very annoying to me and my dive buddy. I didn't download dive info, but I'm sure it would include dozens of "violations". After 13 months (one month after warranty expired!), it failed. I replaced it with a different brand & do not miss the Nemo noise maker!

my old uwatec does it also, is there a way to silence it, mine is. of course I don't think it has any alarm on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom