Nekton Rorqual - Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstroupe

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last week I had the pleasure of cruising and diving with the crew and passengers aboard the Nekton Rorqual. The itinerary was the Cay Sal Banks, Bahamas. This was my first liveaboard so I was not quite sure what to expect but I can assure you that this will not be my last.

The crew was wonderful! First off, they are divers...just like you and me. They love diving and it shows. They get just as excited about the dives as the passengers do. Not only that but they go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need and are comfortable.

The accommodations were comfortable and not overly cramped (granted, I was alone in a cabin :wink: ) There was plenty of room to eat in the dinning area and the salon area was great for relaxing and taking in a movie or viewing photos of the days dives. One thing I found to be very positive was that they had a computer hooked up to the big screen TV where you could load and view your digital photos right after a dive to see how they came out (perfect for instant gratification folks like me). If you think the food will be lacking or not quite up to snuff I can assure you that is not the case. The food on board is as good or better than many restaurants on shore and there is PLENTY of it...7 lbs and counting :11: (and that's with 4-5 dives per day).

The diving was outstanding. We caught some weather a couple of days but for the most part had excellent visibility and low to moderate currents. The sites that we went to were perfect. I've never seen reefs in such good condition it was as if no one else had ever dove them before. The fan coral and other delicate life were untouched and thriving. If you are looking for wrecks then the Cay Sal Banks is not the itinerary you want but if dolphins, sharks, turtles, rays, and the like are interesting to you then it's perfect. The diving was relaxed and never rushed. We dove steel 95's and I opted for the nitrox package to extend my bottom times. You never want for air on the dives and are never forced up because you've been down too long like many shore dive ops.

On the last day of the cruise there was some really bad weather and the skiff capsized bringing passangers back from Bimini. The crew immediatly snapped into station and did what had to be done to ensure the safety of the passengers. No one was hurt but the skiff was lost, I guess that's what insurance is for. Hats off to the crew for how they handled themselves and the situation.

I have posted a few photos and will post more soon but I just can't say enough about the great time I had with Nekton. For the price, they are a great value!

DiveMe:
Thanks for posting your trip report! We're doing our first liveaboard on the Nekton Pilot in a couple of months and can't wait. :D

The Nekton fleet never disappoints. It Rocks! (well, no, it really doesn't) :D

Always a good time. Nice report, glad you weren't skiffless!

Nice report, except missing one thing the *** Divers...

: )

Good diving with you buddy, the pics rock..

We're looking at Roatan in April/may... We're looking at time shares..

Spliffmaster, out.

where are the pics, I dont see any. I am contemplating the nekton and the same cay sal trip but $1800 (not including airfare to get me to ft lauterdale) is a lot of $ for me. How many dives could you pack in each day?

So far my only diving experience has been in okinawa and ambergris caye belize. How would the diving on the cay sal trip compare?

I have not been to Cay Sal Banks (yet - but it is on my list). But I did dive with Nekton and I can tell you a little about it. You can easily do 5 dives a day. You set your equipment up once on day one and then never again the whole trip. As you finish each dive, you drop your gear on the dive deck and the crew immediately fills the tank (while still attached to your BC) for the next dive. You rinse off with warm fresh water after which you are handed a warm towel to dry off. Cookies or other snacks await you for your surface interval.

The day goes like this. Wake up - eat breakfast - dive briefing - morning dive - SI with cookies - second morning dive - eat lunch while the boat repositions - dive briefing - afternoon dive - SI with cookies - second afternoon dive - clean up for dinner and eat dinner - evening lecture on fish ID, etc - night dive - go to bed. Then you repeat this for 6 days.

When you factor in all the dives along with some pretty great meals, I think the dollars make a lot of sense.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom