Nekton Pilot Cabin Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vagabonding

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Does anyone have a favorite cabin (with two twin beds) on the Nekton Pilot? Our last trip on the Rorqual my dive buddy and I were in the room across from the Galley door, and while it was a great spot logistically, it was quite loud in the early morning when the crew was prepping for the day.

Thanks for any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Ben

We stayed downstairs about the third on the left. Typical condensation issues but it was pretty quiet. In the upstairs cabins on the Pilot, you hear people walking on the deck overhead. It's a few years older boat so it creaks more when they do.

See where the circular staircase is? ours was the one just to the left. On the "Coral" deck. Although it shows a double, they were twins. Most on the boat are either/or. You don't want the one right of the staircase as it's smaller.

Last edited:
I would recommend a room downstairs for two single people as the rooms are slightly larger. Couples are fine upstairs with the beds pushed together. We didn't mind the little bit of noise in the am upstairs as we were usually up already. :D

I worked on that boat for eight years, these are my recollections: Upstairs, people do walk on the sundeck and almost all of the rooms will hear occasional footsteps. Cabin #1 is right next to the galley, so you get galley noises in the early morning. Cabin #4 shares a wall with the TV in the salon, so sometimes if folks are watching movies late at night the sound can be heard through the wall. Cabins # 3 & 7 are all the way forward and are great for couples, although cabin #3 is on the port side where the mooring line is attached--sometimes you hear the creaking of the line on the rollers.

Downstairs: Avoid cabins 8 & 12 as they are closest to the generator spaces. The heat from the engineering spaces exacerbates condensation issues. Avoid cabin # 11 because it is the smallest on the boat. I recommend Cabins 10, 14, 15. Lower center is the most stable. You might have minor condensation issues, but these are the best cabins on the boat.

We had Cabin #4 which shared a wall with the TV in the salon...it was very loud, the speakers were at my ear about 1/4" away! On a previous trip I had a downstairs room...it was much nicer.

We had Cabin #4 which shared a wall with the TV in the salon...it was very loud, the speakers were at my ear about 1/4" away! On a previous trip I had a downstairs room...it was much nicer.

My wife and I were also in cabin #4 on the Pilot. If you have a large group of people playing boardgames or having general conversation in the salon, you can hear every word as if they are right beside you.

Back
Top Bottom