Nekton Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what to think. I guess I'll just see what I will see. I want to go into this with a positive outlook, as this is an attempt to change careers. I'm 55 years old and tired of the rat-race corporate BS. So, since my lay off in March I earned my instructors certification in May 2008, and have been teaching for a VERY large retail chain with a scuba department in Northern California.

I have certified over 100 students but I tired if the retail boneheads and wanted to venture into more diving and diving operations.

I hope I have not made a bad move.

Thanks,

Greg:shakehead:

Hey Greg. I wish you the very best. I was a little older than you when I made that same decision. I became an instructor at age 62. I certainly didn't want to scare you away with my earlier comments. I'm sure things have improved since I was there and I think you'll do great. There are many days when I wish I had stuck it out.

Keep the forum informed so we know how it worked out for you. I'd really like to hear about your adventure after you've been there a few weeks.

Greg,

Like I said, I during my Pilot trip five weeks ago, I was paying fairly close attention to the crew 'cause I was so impressed with them....not just the service they delivered to the guests, but to their general attitude and demeanor. I also had a fairly detailed talk with one crew member who was only gonna be on the boat for about a month as part of some sort of home office training. She confirmed that crew morale was high and folks liked what they were doing.

I even remember thinking....man, this would be a fun job. Clearly it's not all fun, but I think I'd enjoy being around diving (and beautiful, warm places) full time. I discounted it, though, because I'm 60 and run my own business. Heck, now hearing about you (at 55), maybe I've got a shot.

I saw absolutely no evidence of the boat being in poor condition. I thought it was utilitarian....built for diving, not for luxury, but in good condition (operating and otherwise).

I think you'll be happy with it.

Ron

Things to shear, yes, I saw a bunch of things I would have liked to shear off. :)

Having been on multiple boats for comparison, there are definitely things that could be better. Having been to Indonesia, it's a Taj Mahal from what's possible, but hardly fixable problem free. As to condition, you'll find things OK, but certainly improveable. Sounds like the work schedule could be your biggest problem, and keeping objectively upbeat throughout the trip when dealing with the nice people and the not so nice people.

I did the Rorqual off Mona Island in 2005, and had a good time. The Aggressor line is much nicer - and more expensive. Yes, I got a good deal on my Mona trip, but I still have an overall positive impression of that excursion (without taking price into consideration). I'm not sure I was so enamored of the diving sites that I would go again without another good price break, but that evaluation is based primarily on the dive conditions.

I don't know what to think. I guess I'll just see what I will see. I want to go into this with a positive outlook, as this is an attempt to change careers. I'm 55 years old and tired of the rat-race corporate BS. So, since my lay off in March I earned my instructors certification in May 2008, and have been teaching for a VERY large retail chain with a scuba department in Northern California.

I have certified over 100 students but I tired if the retail boneheads and wanted to venture into more diving and diving operations.

I hope I have not made a bad move.

Thanks,

Greg:shakehead:

I don't think that this will be a bad move. I am 99.98% sure you won't be there long term but I think the experience will be invaluable and it has the potential to lead to other things. Look at it as an adventure! Look at it as a resume padder! Look at it as a working vacation!

Positive attitude is the key!

Greg,

I just thought of another thing that impressed me regarding the Nekton crew.

In talking with various crew members, it was obvious that some of them had been steadily moving up through the ranks....engineer to dive master to captain's asst. to captain. It looked like a place where you could show some initiative and learn quite a bit.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom