Nekton Caymen Islands July 29 Departure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi aedavidson,

I would, but the Jul '06 issue hasn't yet been posted to the Undercurrent website. It's only available in the pulp newsletter at the moment.

Sorry,

DocVikingo

Doc,

Could you just give us a short take on what they think Nekton is doing wrong? I have a feeling it is going to be about some divers with bad habits, and no one on board doing anything about it. Its not that I think this is Nekton's way of doing things, as it can happen anywhere.

leadweight:
Doc,
Could you just give us a short take on what they think Nekton is doing wrong? I have a feeling it is going to be about some divers with bad habits, and no one on board doing anything about it. Its not that I think this is Nekton's way of doing things, as it can happen anywhere.
nothing to do with that at all. The issue is that there is a 20 diver limit on any boat in Bloody Bay Marine Park (and I think Jackson Bay too, not sure.) The Nekton carries 32 when full. They are getting around this by hiring a local boat for some of their divers to stay within the limit. The main issue is whether this meets the letter/spirit of the law.

Twenty or 32, that is the question. I am not sure why it would make such a difference as any operator with two boats can go out there with 40 divers, in theory. They did not say anything to us about having to dive from another boat when we booked, and that is the type of thing they usually tell you about, as live aboard customers dive directly from the boat, unless otherwise specified.

I wonder who gets to go on the "local boat"?

When we went (just got back a week ago and ready to go again!), we only had 22 divers and they asked for two volunteers. In addition to the two volunteers, they also had a member of the Nekton crew as well as a representative from the marine Park that dived with them. When they came back, the two said it was great diving as the Nekton crew member and the Marine Park rep knew where to find all of the "cool" stuff, which enabled them to see a great deal. They were only gone for the two morning dives (left after breakfast and returned before lunch.

Nekton also provided towels, snacks and drinks for them while on the other boat.

leadweight:
Twenty or 32, that is the question. I am not sure why it would make such a difference as any operator with two boats can go out there with 40 divers, in theory. They did not say anything to us about having to dive from another boat when we booked, and that is the type of thing they usually tell you about, as live aboard customers dive directly from the boat, unless otherwise specified.
yeah, I don't have a strong opinion I could argue it either way. On the one hand it's a floating hotel with divers on 2 boats vs a land based hotel sending 2 boats. (Though there was also some noise about the Nekton supposedly breaking a mooring.) The argument made on the flip side was that what's to stop a cruise ship from coming and putting lots of people out there 20 at a time, not that that is likely to happen.

Maybe Nekton is afraid it will affect their bookings if they advertise this, though that seems more likely to me to backfire. A fair number of liveaboards do do some or all of their diving off another boat for various good reasons. It's possible they didn't know at the time you booked, as they tried to get an exception to the rule first. (Not that they are telling people now either, at least not on their website that I can see.)

I was on the May trip to Cayman Islands on the Nekton - did the private boat. Was a great experience - we all had a great time - was first sign up - first on the private boat. Sent us with towels, drinks, snacks. Was just for a morning dive on Little Cayman - other sites the main boat had everyone dive off of it. Did a dawn dive on the Destroyer on Cayman Brac (after night dive previous evening) awesome experience!

Hi guys,
I always try to stay out of the middle of any discussions regarding Nekton unless I can provide factual information that can help educate people about the itineraries as I am a diver first and like to have as much info as possible.

On the Cayman Islands itinerary we have a permit to dive Bloody Bay Wall. The permit contains the same restrictions that all others contain i.e. only allows 20 divers to enter and dive the waters from our boat.

On the weeks where we have more than 20 divers on board, we hire a local Little Cayman operator to carry those guests into the park so that they can dive. This operator is one that was already established and had their permit. We are filling spaces that were already authorized to dive in the park prior to us even thinking about doing the itinerary. The reservations person notifies each guest as we reach the 21st person to book for the week so that they have the option to choose another week if they don't want to have the possibility of being assigned to dive from the day boat.. During a meeting about the rules and procedures, the Captain asks for volunteers to go on the day boat. If he didn't get enough volunteers, the last people booked would be assigned to go on the boat. So far we have not had to assign anyone to dive the day boat, we have actually had more people want to do it than we had day boat spaces. There are certain advantages to doing the day boat, i.e. local guide and you get to dive 2 different sites for the morning rather than the one that the Rorqual does. We have had positive feedback about the day boat experience.

Hope this helps everyone understand the process. Happy Diving! Pam

Pam

That it is a reasonable explanation. It looks more to me like complying with the rules rather than abusively avoiding them. In that case Undercurrents is sensationalizing a non problem.

I do feel the situation should be explained at the time of booking simply because diving from launches or pangas (or whatever) is a very different experience from jumping off the back of a big live aboard. That does not mean that it can't be better or at least as good.

My main concern with local guides is that the dives might be short, as that is what they are probably doing with their regular clients.

However, based on the comments above, there does not seem to be anything to worry about.

-Ron & I can't wait.

leadweight:
Pam

That it is a reasonable explanation. It looks more to me like complying with the rules rather than abusively avoiding them. In that case Undercurrents is sensationalizing a non problem.

I do feel the situation should be explained at the time of booking simply because diving from launches or pangas (or whatever) is a very different experience from jumping off the back of a big live aboard. That does not mean that it can't be better or at least as good.

My main concern with local guides is that the dives might be short, as that is what they are probably doing with their regular clients.

However, based on the comments above, there does not seem to be anything to worry about.

-Ron & I can't wait.

You don't have anything to worry about. There are 14 guests on your trip...enjoy!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom