Nekton Caymans - follow up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has she thought about getting certified, or maybe it's not an option. But, if it is, problem solved! She can even do her OW dives on the Nekton.

Otherwise... Depending on the itinerary, they do offer at least 1 or 2 chances to go to shore. When I did the Belize trip, about half of the guests (all divers) too an entire afternoon to go out to one of the islands. The main boat stays and continues dive operations while they took out one of the skifts. They also have Kayaks, and like somoene mentioned earlier, snorkeling would be an option as well.

MentalMarine:
I totally want to do go on this liveaboard! As most divers, my wife is not a diver. If we go to a resort she loves to sit by the pool. I would rather pound my head into the wall rather than waste my time sitting at a pool :) I love doing things ie diving. For those that have been on the nekton, do you think a non-diver would still enjoy it?

I think you have two options:

1. Take her along and make sure that she has a nice mask, snorkel, and fins, and a lot of sunscreen. There are a number of Nekton itineraries where there is some decent snorkeling, so that a non-diver can still have some fun too (albeit not nearly as close to the action as us divers). I recall a couple of times when divers were having some ear problems and could not dive and just chose to watch the action while snorkeling on the surface. Nekton also has a good library of great trashy novels to read while topside, and no lack of movies to watch as well, along with a hot tub and lounge chairs. And if she wants to get wet, she can just jump into the ocean off the back of the boat (maybe with a life jacket on depending on swimming ability) - who needs a pool?

And you never know - having her watching you and the rest of the folks having a blast diving while she's snorkeling might just pique her interest in getting certified....

2. Go without her. I did that on my last Nekton trip to the Bahamas in June. And I did this even though my wife is also a diver - it's just that she had some scheduling conflicts so she could not go with me. And I had a great time - met a lot of neat people (as you always do on any Nekton trip), and had no problem finding a dive buddy for each of the 20+ dives that a I did on that trip.

ECPaul:
Smokey:

Many thanks for this referral - I was completely unaware of it. Do you have any knowledge of the reputation of this operation?

I just got back from a trip aboard the Cuan Law and had a great time. See my thread also in the Liveabloard Forum: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=196777

Now I'm planning my next trip and trying to decide on destination and boat myself.

Hi Dan....sounds like a great trip....yes it is hard to compare when you start a the top first....but IMO Bonaire and Roatan (CCV) are a close second....

I have been to The Caymans many times the last time on the Cayman Aggressor for my 50th b-day and I have to say that is the way to dive those islands....

I had to laugh about the socks....I have always worn those black short sport socks with my booties boy do I get some looks....

parrotheaddiver:
Hi Dan....sounds like a great trip....yes it is hard to compare when you start a the top first....but IMO Bonaire and Roatan (CCV) are a close second....

I have been to The Caymans many times the last time on the Cayman Aggressor for my 50th b-day and I have to say that is the way to dive those islands....

I had to laugh about the socks....I have always worn those black short sport socks with my booties boy do I get some looks....

I've been to Bonaire twice and CCV twice. Loved both and would go back (And hopefully will) . However, given a choice I would pick the Nekton over both!

Back
Top Bottom