Nekton Belize Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Being that I'm a "virgin liveaboard" diver, I have a couple of questions. We'll be on the Nekton Pilot, so I'm not sure if these are specific to Nekton cruising or any liveaboard.

1) Nekton policy states that all divers must have snorkels. We can only find one of our two folding snorkels. How strict are they on this policy? Do I need to go buy another folding snorkel, or can we get away with not having one?

2) Do I need a slate to take notes during the dive briefing? Will it be necessary to draw little maps of the dive sites? I've read the diving is very easy as it is mostly wall diving, but any advice would be appreciated.

Please feel free to give me any other little hints about gear or the trip. Thanks everyone!

DiveMe, I don't believe there are any "Snorkel Police" on any of our boats. I do think, however, that it is an intelligent move to carry one in a spare pocket. You never know when you might need it. They make some really compact ones these days.

A small dive slate is always handy to have so that you can makes notes about the dive sites, communicate with your buddy, etc. I use one of those things that look like an "Etch A Sketch". There are also curved ones that fit on your wrist that look really neat as well.

We're all "virgins" some time....the most important thing is to be safe and have a ball!

DiveMe:
Being that I'm a "virgin liveaboard" diver, I have a couple of questions. We'll be on the Nekton Pilot, so I'm not sure if these are specific to Nekton cruising or any liveaboard.

I love the Nekton fleet, I am sure you will as well.

Bottom line at any dive op... if they say something is required, why question it? The previous advice is dead on. In the unlikely even that you need to be picked up by a skiff, spending any time on the surface when it's a bit rough... well- you might like that snorkel.

Yes, the folding snorkels are quite adequate for this purpose.

Draw on a slate the dive briefing? I like your attitude about details, but if you wish not to go through that hassle, as it is being given, sketch it into your log book. That's an old trick. Write it down, you'll not likely forget it in the short term.

Whether liveaboard or land based dive op, the question you pose would have the same answer. In your experience, limited or not, how comfortable have you felt diving after sketching the briefing map... or not?

The biggest trick of any such opoeration- know how deep the mooring is located and its proximity to 'the edge of the wall'. That way, upon your return, you'll easily find the exit!

My advice? Glue your facemask to your DM's flippers. Very few will do this, but it's the only way that any of us city folk will ever see anything underwater. Belize is known for its small stuff. Without the help of a nearby DM, you are unlikely to find anything. In this environment, if a DM isn't showing you something new that's cool and tiny on every dive, pick a better DM. The stuff is everywhere, one just has to know where to look. Nekton DM's have been consistently good.

Specific to the Nekton: In preparation for night diving... note with care your path to the mooring line and the way that line appears (at what angle and distance) from the ship. It can be kind of disconcerting, even if you have been on other liveaboards.

Here is a ship that is quite long as well as wide, it invites you to swim underneath and between its catmaran-like underwater hulls. The mooring line appears at a 45* angle off of the Port Bow (The left front) and touches the water maybe 50 feet off the ship's davit. Just pay attention during the daylight, you'll be fine.

They never moor for a night dive to a site that you haven't been diving at during the day.

All in all, I recommend that you find the pin in the reef and head shallow. That is the best place to "hunt" in Belize! Enjoy the Nekton- we always do!

Thanks everyone, I'll pick up another folding snorkel so we have 2. We've never really felt a need to sketch out maps prior to diving in the past, so I think we'll play that one by ear. We've also never really with an operator who sketches out the dive site on a white board like Nekton apparently does and I didn't know if the dive sites were particularly complex, which is what generated my question in the first place. :wink:

I like the idea of sketching in my log book if I feel the need, thanks RoatanMan! I didn't realize that Nekton put a DM in the water, so we'll look forward to being shown some of the sights with these guys.

We have one of those etch-a-sketch things too, and were already planning to bring it.

Thanks everyone for the advice!!

I am doing the same trip the second week of January . While the subject is out there I had a question . There are about 12 in our group and we were trying to coordinate each of us carrying some extra gear - regs , bcs , computers in case of a failure . I wonder if this is necessary or do they have gear on the boat if we get in a jam . I do not mind ringing some extra stuff but I am all for less baggage to haul from D.C to Belize . I was also looking at their EAN plan - $250 for the week or $15 per tank . The weekly plan seems reasonable but $15 per tank seems like a lot . I was curious if there were dives that would not be good with EAN on this trip - Deep . If I can dive EAN most all dives I will pay the $250 if I still can . I am new to this board but I have found a wealth of information and about that much amusement:wink:

Never be concerned about asking questions...the scuba community loves to talk diving :D There are numerous pieces of gear that you can rent if you should have an equipment failure, we routinely keep BCs and Regs with Computers on board. I would bring: extra mask and mask strap, extra fin straps (if in some unlikely event you lose a whole fin, the DMs can normally help you out with the problem. Make sure you have had your equipment serviced (with a post service, pre travel trip to the pool to make sure everything is OK). I also bring an extra computer battery, extra bulbs for my flashlights and extra batteries (there are flashlight batteries for sale on board). Also bring one of those tank lights for use on the night dives. (Cylume sticks are available for sale on board but a permanent one makes sense). A boat normally has duct tape and cable ties...my temporary answer to many equipment failures.

Hope this helps save some room in the luggage

And silly me forgot to address the nitrox issue...if you can call the Nekton office tomorrow, I'll go over the dive sites with you so that you can decide. The price of our Nitrox is an issue but there really is a good explanation for the cost. I'll be happy to explain that as well.

augustadivediva:
<snip...>if in some unlikely event you lose a whole fin, the DMs can normally help you out with the problem.
It does happen - like to me the last time I was on the boat. Luckily the crew was able to find a pair of fins for me to borrow for the rest of the trip.
Luke

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom