Negative feedback on the Oly 8080 & PT-023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
For what it is worth:
It is only one persons opinion but that person is in the camera business and his own website does not recommend the Oly C8080 for underwater use.
He is also negative on the Oly PT-023 housing for that camera.
I personally think Yuzo is a very reputable business person and I value his opinions.

Thanks for sharing Jim. I trust his judgement too....and after holding the camera myself, the set up is going to be HUGE! I'm happy to stick with my 5050:D

Yeah, Yuzo hasn't steered me wrong yet.

I also agree that Yuzo is very reputable from the times I've dealt with him on purchases. He's very knowledgeable on the products he sells and he won't sell you a lemon, which essentially is what he's saying with the 8080 and the housing for u/w use.

In defense of Olympus, hasn't his pt-23 page changed a bit? I think I recall him basically saying he couldn't stand the size of this housing and that small housings with camera packages were the vogue. He still complains about everything which adds size to the housing, but now omits references to preferring smaller housing/camera combos (once again I'm going on memory here on his statement that he preferred small housings, maybe I didn't see it).

This housing/camera combo is going to be big compared to the other offerings by Oly, Canon and such. It may have to be compared to the DSLR housings in some respects as it is definitley a larger camera. It will be curious to see how it compares to those housings once it comes out, as well as the Ikelite housing which is ommitting the internal flash option.

It's a heck of a camera and is winning most of the 8mp reviews. I suspect it'll sell well (I'm biased as I picked one up recently) and Oly should make a housing for it. People who purchase a housing sight unseen may be a bit surprised once they see it, but I was surprised when I saw a 5050 housing next to my pt-13. Size is relative. I'm leaning towards the Ikelite housing personally 'til I see the pt-23 in person... I've seen the Ikelite's Sony 828 housing and don't find it objectionally large, the Oly is supposed to be a bit smaller I think. It definitely won't be a pocket camera.

later

Steve

Gilligan:
For what it is worth:
It is only one persons opinion but that person is in the camera business and his own website does not recommend the Oly C8080 for underwater use.
He is also negative on the Oly PT-023 housing for that camera.
I personally think Yuzo is a very reputable business person and I value his opinions.

I also trust Yuzo's judgement in the main. However - he is Japanese and says himself that Japanese like small things! I think that the probable answer for the C-8080 is to buy a better housing than the Olympus - i.e.Ikelite. Ikelite housings are already bigger than comparable Oly housings - but they are also better (yes they cost a lot more too!) The point here is wether or not you want to go diving with such a large rig - if you don't care about the size then I suppose that it doesn't matter so much. Just remember though - this rig will not take standard size lenses - so it will all cost more!! I'll stick with the C-5050 - at least I can afford it.....

friscuba:
In defense of Olympus, hasn't his pt-23 page changed a bit? I think I recall him basically saying he couldn't stand the size of this housing and that small housings with camera packages were the vogue. He still complains about everything which adds size to the housing, but now omits references to preferring smaller housing/camera combos (once again I'm going on memory here on his statement that he preferred small housings, maybe I didn't see it).

This housing/camera combo is going to be big compared to the other offerings by Oly, Canon and such. It may have to be compared to the DSLR housings in some respects as it is definitley a larger camera. It will be curious to see how it compares to those housings once it comes out, as well as the Ikelite housing which is ommitting the internal flash option.

It's a heck of a camera and is winning most of the 8mp reviews. I suspect it'll sell well (I'm biased as I picked one up recently) and Oly should make a housing for it. People who purchase a housing sight unseen may be a bit surprised once they see it, but I was surprised when I saw a 5050 housing next to my pt-13. Size is relative. I'm leaning towards the Ikelite housing personally 'til I see the pt-23 in person... I've seen the Ikelite's Sony 828 housing and don't find it objectionally large, the Oly is supposed to be a bit smaller I think. It definitely won't be a pocket camera.

later

Steve

If you own this camera you must have zoomed in and out :11:
The lens elements move a loooonnnnnngggg way. What this will mean for any housing is that the 'port' will have to be huge to stop the camera vignetting at wide end, especially if it is flat like in the oly housing. It will be very much like an SLR housing and the flat port coming on the oly housing will be massive, imagine with the WA conversion lens attach, eek.
Sorry but Yuzo has a very good point and I would trust what he says, especially if he's seen it. Another good point is any add on lenses or maybe a dome port are going to be far, far more expensive than anything currently out there. The 5060 dome is costly enough. My opinion is the 5060 and 5050 are still superior for underwater work. The 8080 is however a better camera overall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom