Needing Help to ID tanks..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was resently given a couple of tanks which I am having a problem identifying.... Need some help of ID'ing...

Here is what I have:

On the upper portion of the tank it says the following:

NO. 8618J
Non-Magnetic
3000 PSIG (SPUN)
RE87

On the Oposite side of that upper portion is the following:

Test PSIG 5000
9_67
EE63.OCC
PE O.O CC
Volume 704 CU IN

Your help is greatly appreciated.

The tank is US Navy aluminum, non magnetic for use by EOD teams. Capacity: 90cf @ 3000. Cylinder is formed from 6061 T6 aluminum pipe, spun and necked. Bottom is plugged. If the original Beryllium valves (black) are used, lubricate the threads before installing.

I don't think you will find anyone to hydro or fill them with out the DOT stamp. The plugs in the bottom are prone to leaking. Mostly good for display unless you have a compressor and can fill them yourself. If you care to sell them let PM me, I know a collector of Navy diving gear who might buy them.

Round bottom aluminum tanks are spun to make the tank, then plugged on the bottom and a fitting welded in the top. The DOT does not allow these tanks to remain in service. If you try to get them hydro'd the shop will remove them from service. They make good dinner bells or chimes. Cut off the bottom and hang them. Use a wooden mallet and whack them good.

we call them "Navy bombs" -took the tansom off a boat at Isle Royale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom