Need your help with metal detectors!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I have looked some at the other posts but I need more info.

I am considering an U/W metal detector.

I have been told that if you get next to anything metal that it will set the detctor off e.g. metal dock posts, beer cans etc.

Sadly, this is the kind of stuff that I will be searching around and DON'T want to find!

I am looking at a Fisher Impulse.

However, Minelab makes a "discriminating" metal detector. As I understand it you can this type of metal detector to "detect" different metals e.g. silver, steel, gold?!!

It is about $1100.00-almost 3 times the cost of the Fisher.

Will I be greatly disappointed/frustrated with the Fisher, finding only beer cans and fish hooks? Is it pointless to buy a detector that senses everything and therefore nothing?

Thanks
Mike

You need to do more research.

Longer answer.

First a question, Are you searching in fresh or salt water?

In salt water you are *much* better off with a pulse induction (PI) detector. The problem with these is they respond to all conductive materials and even the best discrimination available is primitive.

In fresh water you can use a modern, computerized VLF machine (detectorists often refer to a detector as a machine) that can tell you all sorts of things about the target. They can often tell you what metal, how big and how deep.

It is an advantage to detect everything if you remove eash item you find. Then as the search area gets cleaner you find deeper and more valuable objects.

A good book to start with is, "The Sport Diver's Guide to Sunken Treasure" by David Finnern. ISBN 0-9651204-0-6

I have a Tesoro Tigershark and it works in salt and fresh water on land and in the sea my last trip to Daytona Beach I found a Letherman Multitool in 4 feet of water 12 inches deep in the sand I was impressed I also cleaned the beach of lots of trash but you can't find the good stuff without digging some trash.

Is what I do. I have Tesoro's, Fishers, White's, and Minelabs. They all have weak points, and good points. Coil size is a major factor in how deep they will find stuff. Discrimination is also a major factor. You don't want to find iron? We found a small iron bar concreted to a conch shell attached to silver pieces of eight. Also, 12' long cannon. Don't want to find aluminum? We found boat ladders, danfort anchors, and boat props (worth a lot of money). You don't want to find brass. We've found bullets, 500 pound bombs (the Navy took those and exploded them and they might have been steel jacketed), and knives. Oh and yes, we've found coins, new and old, ship bolts, deadeyes, and other small things, over the years. Rings, buttons, and other small gold sounds the same as aluminum! I want that machine to make noise when ever it encounters a metal object regardless of how worthless it is. And yes, I have found thousands of beer cans, pop cans, and other trash. Buy the best you can afford.

metaldector once bubbled...
Is what I do. I have Tesoro's, Fishers, White's, and Minelabs. They all have weak points, and good points. Coil size is a major factor in how deep they will find stuff. ...

Which of them works the best? Overall?

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

Which of them works the best? Overall?

In case anyone else is interested, here are some tips I got from Metaldector:

Fisher 1200 -- easiest to use, no distracting tone until you pass over something, 8" coil fits easily into confined spaces

MineLab 1000 -- 10" coil more sensitive than 8" models, wider range of discrimination, annoying background tone however

Surfmaster 8" -- a favorite as well, however has leaks

Teserro -- inexpensive but not a very good track record other than for beer cans

Good hunting!

I bought an older model Whites 1100 PI. There is no descrimination and it pings every thing. Ive found beer cans galore and have gone crazy on signals that turned out to be buckshot (very hard to find underwater I might add :banging: ). I have also found watches, coins, dive knives and a big rusted crescent wrench. My Whites has been a great educational tool to the world of UW detecting.

Thing is, like metaldector stated, you have to dig every target and have a lot of patience. Most of the higher end models with their trash discrimination modes on miss most antique items and only zero in on the precious metals. If you only want to find Silver and gold...good luck. It takes a lot more disipline and patience to only find the "good stuff". :pirate:

My advice is buy a mid-range detector...the Fisher and Garrett make very good and reliable general purpose detectors for in water and land use. The Minelab is an excellent choice but if you are just starting out Id go with the Fisher or Garrett. You will spend more time tweaking and tuning the Minelab to find the sweet spot than you will hunting. That is for the more advanced T-hunters. Get some books or read more on-line before you make that leap...

Kellyco Detectors online have great specials on new and used/floor models plus tons of accessories and books...Very good prices and specials too.

I own a handheld u/w metal detector. It's about the size of your hand and fingers. You place it in the palm of your hand as it's contoured for that. There is a strap to go around your hand to hold it tightly in place. It vibrates and has a series of lights on the side when it detects metal. I love it. You just move your hand back on forth and you are instantly already over the site when the thing starts to vibrate. I'll get the brand name and post it for you. I'm pretty sure it was made in Canada.

Hi buff, if you've never done any metal detecting before you might want to try it on land a bit until you get the hang of it. Its alot more difficult in and under the water, That being said, I have used the Minelab Excaliber for a few years now and would recommend it for beach, wading, and diving.It discriminates pretty well between ferrous and non-ferrous metals but if you want to find the good stuff you have to dig alot of junk, thats just the way it is. If you have any good collecting areas AND you actually go out and use it, it will pay for itself in time. If you want one just for diving, the one CincyBengalsFan mentioned is pretty good its easy to use and compact but doesnt have the depth of a full size machine Its called an Aurora and Kellyco in Fla sells them they also have good prices on most other brands of detectors including Minelabs, hope this helps and happy treasure hunting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom